How COVID-19 Gave More Than It Took Away

COVID- 19 affected the lives of many, but if one were to think about it, it gave more than it took away!

14

They say when one door closes, another door opens. This saying is one that many use multiple times in their lifetime in order to explain to others why bad things occur. However, COVID-19 closed many doors all across the world and no one was able to come up with another door that opened due to this. Many jobs were lost, students lost their graduations and many lost the ability to see their families in person. All of these bad things are all that people thought of when they think of COVID- 19. But, there is another side; there always is.

Sure, COVID-19 took away a lot of things from many people, but the list of the other door is even longer than the ones that closed. It was due to this quarantine that many families were stuck together and started to actually talk in order to get to know each other. In addition, at least in our family, we restarted traditions like breakfast for dinner on Sunday, family game night on Fridays and family movie night on Saturdays. We even started to watch more television shows and movies together!! I think I was like ten the last time we did that! It was also during this quarantine my family and I actually got somethings on our bucket list done.

These things on the never ending list included cleaning our closets and creating stacks that we can donate to goodwill Let me just say that it was like a gold mine in the closets! There were toys and other items that we had not used for years, but they brought back so many memories. I even found my favorite stuffed animal from when I was younger!! We also got to create a piece of art that we had been wanting to do ever since we moved here... create a garden.

In our old home, we had a beautiful and lush garden with so many colorful plants that sometimes we would just sit outside and admire the beauty of the natural world. However, ever since we moved, we had not had much success with finding time to create a new garden at our new house. This quarantine was the perfect solution because we got all the time in the world to create out perfectly colorful garden. Though many of the plants are gone due to the animals like rabbits and deer that are always scavenging for food in our neighborhood, the thought that we are giving them food is satisfying enough to make us happy that we have made a small impact.

Though these activities that my family and I did may not be the most fun for many families, I can whole heartedly say that the time that the quarantine gave us was definitely well spent. We got things done that we did not believe that we ever would, and we got to spend quality time before I go to college! COVID- 19 definitely took things away from us, but I like would like to believe that it gave more than it took away!