My Cousin Is Finally A Marine, And I Couldn't Be Prouder

Semper Fi!

113
Cant Caitlin Brink

Dear Richard,

*warning: I know we don't always share many experiences like this, but this may get a sappy*

First off, congratulations on graduating and making it through boot camp! I'm sure it was a time of a lot of hardcore training and learning about the utmost diligence it takes to be a marine. I'm sorry I couldn’t be there with you as you graduated, and made that final walk before officially becoming a United States Marine, but I’m so proud of you for making it happen! I know this is something you have wanted for a long time, and now it’s finally a reality. You are going to make a great marine, and you are going to do many great things for our family and our country.

Even though this is something we all know you’ve worked hard for and wanted for a long time, I can't necessarily say that I'm not scared for you. We live in a scary world, with lots of crazy things going on around us every day. I know you’ve trained and prepared on how to be the best of the best fighters that the United States has to offer, but that doesn’t mean you’re invincible. Things could still happen, and it makes me nervous for you. But apart from being nervous, I'm proud to say you’re my cousin, and I'm proud to say that you will do an amazing job protecting yourself and our country, and our fellow troops wherever you may end up.

The life we’ve known growing up and becoming teenagers together is going to change now, because you’re officially a part of the adult world. You officially have responsibilities, and duties to protect yourself and others around you. I know you will do great, because you do great at anything you put your mind to. With a sense pride and nationalism like yours, this country is lucky to have you to protect it, as you’ve watched out and protected us for this long. You are strong willed and passionate about so many things, and I'm happy to see that our country is one of them.

Although I haven’t been around too much at home to realize how weird it is without you home, I still feel weird knowing that it’s been 12 weeks since you left and you’re already graduating. We’ve all been thinking about you and wishing the very best for you on this intense and tough journey through boot camp. I'm not sure what to expect when you get back, but I know we’re all so excited to have you back home even for a little while before you go to your next stop. I know the next few years of your duties as a marine may be stressful, and may lead you to places you may not always know how to handle, but I know you can handle it more than anyone. You have a ton of resiliency and strength in you that I admire, and you will always figure it out in one way or another. I know I don’t always tell you enough, but I'm so proud of all you do, and all the passion you have that you live your life with. I hope you continue to have that strength and power and devotion to everything you do from here on out, no matter how tough or exciting the road ahead may be for you.

I hope you always feel proud to be an American, because you make me proud to be an American. Congratulations on becoming a marine, and I hope you know we are always going to be thinking of you and wishing you well no matter where you may end up. Even though you're 6'+, you're still my little cousin and I'm proud of you! Thank you for being willing to put yourself on the line to protect us and our great United States! Semper Fi!

Love,

Your proud big cousin