Today we live in an extremely self-centered world. A world that doesn’t care about other people’s feelings.

We live in a world where family dinner is eaten in silence as children and parents stare at their phones or watch TV.

We live in a world so dependent on technology that we don’t realize it’s ripping away the innocence of children, destroying our communication skills and contributing to the most depressed world we’ve ever known. Social media brings us closer to those far away, but seemingly distances us from those that surround us.

We live in a world where people tear others down for fun, making fun of their appearance, their interests, their living situation, their race, religion, etc. And they feel safe in doing so because they’re hiding behind a screen.

We live in a world where children learn to hate instead of love. No child is born racist, homophobic or cruel, these are altogether gained qualities.

We live in a world that is zestless. Where we are taught to quit dreaming and “be realistic.” If I could change the world I would make it known to every child that they can accomplish anything they put their mind and their heart into.

If I could change the world I would make it so that everybody could agree to disagree. We spend too much time fighting over discrepancies. Why can’t we celebrate our differences? Diversity is the spice of life.

If I could change the world I’d put a smile on everyone’s face. I would take away their worries and I would make it known to them that they are perfect and they are loved.

We live in a world full of problems but we can be the solutions. If we want to change the world, we must change ourselves first. The key to all changes begins within ourselves- a transformation of our hearts and minds.

We must start by being kinder, and more compassionate. By asking to sit with someone sitting by themselves. By actually having a conversation with the person next to you in line, on the bus, the airplane, etc. you can learn so many amazing things about life through listening to the experiences of others.

Everything you do, and everywhere you go is a chance to change the world. Get to know your neighbors, listen more, dish out compliments like it’s your job (it might just make someone’s day), tell your family you love them as often as you can, greet everyone with a hug, get off your phone, be vulnerable with other people and yourself, you might change the world for someone else.