Correct Your Own Faults Before Pointing Out Other's

It's the pot calling the kettle black.

814
Wikimedia

This past week we welcomed a new year, but we also saw the revealing of a scandalous, sexual assault story at the local newspaper, "The Anniston Star".

Claims dating back to the 1970's when the publisher was H. Brandt Ayers, known as "Brandy" to many at the Star. Ayers's family has owned this paper dating back to its origin 1883. How could a clean, small town, family-owned, paper develop a scandal such as this?

Not only was this story found to be true, the Anniston Star published a series lasting three days. The series ended on the fourth day with a sequel regarding new policies at the Star.

No one knows the reasoning behind Brandy forcefully spanking Star reporters, one of which in their home. We can all make our own assumptions as to what happened, but Brandy says that he only spanked "on doctors orders". I have my own opinion on that quote. I believe Ayers sought respect, by means of intimidation. Doing these things made him feared, which gave him a sense of respect, but I digress.

These past few months Alabama saw the political press regarding a special election to select a new U.S. Senator, a dirty, mudslinging, campaign trail for both the Democrat and Republican candidates. Brandy Ayers being a small-town, southern, liberal, newspaper writer could not help but get caught up in the scandals regarding Roy Moore, the Republican candidate for U.S. Senator from Alabama.

Ayers had no problem writing on the allegations of Judge Moore, but the pot should not be calling the kettle black. Also, Judge Moore has not accepted his saying that it's just allegations. Ayers claimed his own but made an ignorant excuse for his actions.

Brandy Ayers has not played an active role in the Star's newsroom in many years especially after handing the publisher position off a few years ago. Ayers did, however, maintain his position as Chairman of Consolidated Publishing, the company that owns the Star as well as several community papers. H. Brandt Ayers resigned this past week amidst the sexual assault claims.

What does this incident mean for the future of the Star? Anniston Star staff have teamed up with professionals to begin the process of writing new rules and policies for the workplace. I'm sure Josephine Ayers will take over as Chairman. I will hope that H. Brandt will seek forgiveness for his past. I believe forgiveness will help bring peace to his victims, as well as himself.

I would like to close by thanking the victims, and especially Mrs. Veronica Pike Kennedy for their bravery and courage in bringing their stories to light.