5 Ways COVID19 Has Changed Musicians

5 Ways COVID19 Has Changed Musicians

Do, re, mi, fa...wait, what? A global pandemic?

50
5 Ways COVID19 Has Changed Musicians

Music is a great medium for people of all backgrounds to connect. And if you're a musician, you're probably always making music in some way – humming the jingles to ads on TV and singing scales while you review your music. That constant of music has always served as a comfort in your life, but unfortunately, most of this year's musical events have been canceled or postponed due to COVID19.

And now when you turn on the TV, there are no catchy jingles. Just frightening statistics about the coronavirus pandemic – the government has ordered limits on travel, closed all public schools, and declared a state of national emergency in the United States. The streets are empty and we're all on lockdown. It's surreal. You keep thinking that you're in a wild dream, you'll wake up and everything's going to be normal again…but it's all real life.

You're not alone, though. Not by any means. Here are five things you're most likely going through as a musician with millions of others across the globe.

You miss making music with your friends.

You don't know what you've got until it's gone. Though you may jokingly complain about rehearsal, it can be the one thing that gets you through the day. And a lot of times, a jam session with your pals is exactly what you need to unwind.

You’re tense about getting sick…tenser than usual, anyway.

As musicians, we're always a bit paranoid about getting sick. And with all the panic over the coronavirus pandemic, it's understandable to fear losing your voice. For some of us, it's the best way to express what we're feeling – now more than ever.

Whenever you feel said stress, you jam out…like, a lot.

As it is, you already sing your vocal cords dry, because it's what you love. But now that you're in quarantine, you are singing and/or making music more than ever before. Music is something that helps keep you sane in these crazy times, and that makes perfect sense.

You’re listening to Spotify 24 hours a day.

Now that you're not engaged in music in person, your Spotify hours have gone through the roof. I mean, you're in quarantine, so what better to do than discover some new tunes and perform solos in your bedroom?

You start and end your day with warm-ups.

You wake up and lay down to go to sleep singing or playing arpeggios, because it's all you know. Old habits die hard, and let's face it – music is an experience. Quite a few of us had musical productions in the works for this spring, and everything's been cut short because of the pandemic.

Music is a part of everyone's lives in one form or another. Whether you'd have been a performer or an audience member at a musical event this spring or summer, you've been robbed of an experience. And yes, that sucks. But it's important to unite during this time of uncertainty and remember that the best is yet to come.

So much art has resulted from this global pandemic, and musicians are still performing stay-at-home concerts if you need some sort of connection with other musicians. And whether you're a part of a large musical group, a band, or you fly solo, consider using this time to make something beautiful and share it with others. Write what you feel, whether you're an instrumentalist or a singer. Your talent shouldn't go to waste during a time like this.