How To Handle Your Corona-Canceled Internship Without Losing Any Of The Experience

It's repetitive but true, we are living through very tough times. If the coronavirus canceled your internship, allow yourself to feel upset, but don't let it keep you down.

8

As a college student, I hear my peers complaining about how COVID-19 ruined their "college experience," meanwhile there are countless families around the world who are unemployed, are not able to feed/ care for their families, and are losing their loved ones, all possible at the same time. It's important to keep things in perspective.

You're allowed to be upset.

Whether you're in middle school missing your school dance, a college senior whose dream job has been taken away from them, or a bride-to-be having to postpone your wedding, all our loss experiences warrant feelings of frustration and disappointment. Allow yourself to feel sad and confused-- we all are, find comfort in that. Everyone looks forward to events and milestones and to have these experiences suddenly robbed from us is undoubtedly heartbreaking. But you must push through it.

A canceled internship for the summer of 2020, especially in major cities, should not be such a paralyzing shock.

Remind yourself upon rejection that there are employees at the company you're seeking employment at that are being laid-off and have families to care for. If companies are unable to take care of their employees, they cannot fulfill a temporary credit-commissioned internship. Sorry, but it's the truth!

Instead of being angry towards the company, respond to the rejection letter. Write a short, gracious, email stating that you hope the recruitment team is staying safe and you admire and believe in the company and what they do. Even follow-up with a revised resume within a few weeks! Do not expect a response of any kind. Just by stating that you are thinking of the company's safety and following up respectively shows your genuine interest. Should the company re-open the position, you will be at the top of their mind when recruiting.

In the meantime… lend your talents to your local businesses; volunteering in times like this will shine on your resume!

Don't throw these precious isolation days away and watch every show on Netflix-- give back to your community! No matter what you're studying, what interests you have, everyone can lend a hand. If you're a marketing student reach out to businesses in your area and offer free marketing assistance. Now is the time to showcase your creativity!

These times are tough but we are tougher! Don't let cancellations, rejections, and rescheduling keep you down, make your own light at the end of the tunnel and get moving!