Please, Continue Breastfeeding In Public

Just because it makes you uncomfortable, doesn't mean you have to stare

61

Breast, whether you have small breast or large breast, they serve one sole purpose. No, the purpose isn’t to please or arouse other male counterparts. The size of a woman’s breast shouldn’t make them feel insecure.

Many women do feel unhappy with the size of their breast and choose to have plastic surgery to augment them. But when you take away the details, arguments, and opinions, you are left with one sole purpose of boobs. That purpose is to breastfeed!

What makes the female breast very special is that it can produce milk for a newborn baby. The milk travels through a network of tiny tubes that are called ducts that reach what is called a "lobe." The woman’s body responds to babies hunger simply by producing milk.

Mothers view breastfeeding as simply something they do to feed their babies. They aren’t thinking about how uncomfortable someone may be because they have no reason to be. It doesn't involve a public crowd and the mother isn't drawing attention to herself. She is just simply feeding her baby with the vitamins and protein breast lactation posses.

The topic of breastfeeding and doing it in public has been a controversial topic for years now but recently a situation in California recently has brought the topic to light again. In California, a viral photo of a woman, breastfeeding her ten-month-old child while at Disneyland.

Apparently, people became angry as the mother pulled out her boob to feed her child while at the park. The woman’s husband captured the moment as they thought the anger from bystanders was unnecessary. You can see the mother smiling while breastfeeding her son, along with two women in the background looking furious and crossing their arms.

This picture sparked a social media debate on whether public breastfeeding is or isn’t socially acceptable. Some people have seen this picture and feel discomfort. They don’t want to be out in public and see a women’s boob out. Some people say that just because it is natural, it doesn’t give breastfeeding mother’s the right to do the act in public, in front of their kids. They don’t want to see it, and some even go on and tell women to go to the bathroom or find a private place.

The fact that people view breastfeeding as taboo and a controversial topic, when done publicly is simply ridiculous. The sexual visualization and objectification the female body faces every day make me, as a woman uncomfortable. I have to restrict my life in the comfort of other people because they view me feeding my child crazy?

If my baby needs to be fed and I am out in public, I should be able to pull my breast out and proceed to feed my baby with zero commentaries. The sole purpose of the female breast is to produce lactation to feed her children. If you are concerned about your children seeing women breastfeeding in public, they may not see it as a sexual and if they do, the topic of the female body shouldn't be an embarrassing or awkward to bring up to children; and that's where we have the root of the problem.

"Well, then why can’t you do it in private?"

"Why can’t you feed them baby food?"

"Why can’t you just use formula?"

Telling me to go to the bathroom to feed my child is insulting. Breastfeeding should be relaxing for the mother and baby. It is a bond that helps form a healthy nurturing relationship between the mother and child. Having your baby latch on in a public bathroom, having nowhere to sit or relax, or lack of stalls open (especially at Disneyland) are numerous of reasons why women simply don’t and shouldn’t have to run to the bathroom to feed their child for everyone else’s peace at mind.

Breastfeeding your baby can lead to many health benefits to the mother as well as her child. Benefits of breastfeeding for a baby can include a bunch of vitamins, protein, and fat to help the baby grow physically and mentally that they may not receive from formula powdered milk. Also, breastfeeding can lower babies’ risk of having asthma or allergies along with fewer ear infections, respiratory illness, and overall fewer trips to the doctor.

For mommies, breastfeeding can help you lose that stubborn baby weight along with the lower chance of breast and ovarian cancer and helps your uterus return to its pre-pregnancy size.

A lot of women shy from formula simply because it isn't cheap and guess what? Breastfeeding is completely free!

I know many women who pump their milk earlier and bottle-feed it to their children when out in public or if the mom can't be with her baby. But this doesn't prevent the mother from leaking when her baby is hungry and when it is time to pump the mother may experience blocked ducts or low supply. Just because women have this option doesn't mean that they have to go out and buy it if they don't want to.

Women deciding to breastfeed in public should not be a taboo topic and it should not make you feel uncomfortable. The act of a mother feeding her child, most likely showing less boob than at a beach, the mall, or on television. Understanding the female body and empowering other women to suppress this sexual image of the female body is a step in the right direction towards equality and women empowerment.

If you read this article and still think public breastfeeding is foul and annoying to you, you can always just look away.