If You're Considering Pre-Med, Read This Before Committing
College

Do you know what you're getting yourself into?

135

You've gotten accepted to university and you're now wondering which major you should pursue. There is a multitude of options, all leading to hundreds of different opportunities for your future. It's a huge decision for anyone to make, let alone a 17- or 18-year -old. You've probably heard a few people say, "just pick one, you can always change it later," so you decide that you want to follow a pre-med track.

If this is you, I want you to know a few things before letting this decision make or break your future.

The first question you should ask yourself is, am I actually motivated to pursue medicine? Am I willing to spend the next 8-10 years working incredibly hard to better the lives of others? Or am I just infatuated with the idea of living comfortably in 20 or so years? In order to be successful in undergrad and medical school, you have to be devoted to your end goal to prevent giving up and switching to an easier specialty. That being said, you have to envision your end goal as working crazy hours, not seeing your family for extended periods of time, while saving lives instead of living off of six figures and owning a huge house in the country club.

If you were one to breeze through your classes in high school, the same doesn't always hold true in college.

Pre-med is hard. You can't expect to study a couple days before a test and be fine. You should study for three hours per credit hour, so if you were taking 12 credit hours, you could expect to study for more than 7 hours a day in order to do well in your classes. Not only will you have to push your limits when it comes to studying, you will have to carry everything you learn with you for sequential science courses, the MCAT, and your career.

Pre-med is a very competitive field.

The curriculum is designed to weed out the underachievers even in the first semester. You're going to find yourself in classes that have less than a 50% pass rate. This is done to benefit students by giving them time to change their major before it's too late. While you will be competing with the grade curve, you shouldn't be competing with other students necessarily. It's really easy to fall down the slippery slope of comparing yourself to other pre-med students, but the only person you should be competing with is yourself. You should be striving to constantly do better than your last test or last semester, not better than your peers. You might've been valedictorian in high school, but chances are, so were a lot of other students in your classes.

With all that being said, don't expect to do amazing your first semester, and don't be discouraged when this happens.

First semester may be the easiest course-wise, but it's the hardest because you have to adjust to living on your own while experiencing college for the first time, so expecting to do stellar in school during this is not reasonable. Don't go changing your life plans after one semester, though, there's still so much time to solidify a good GPA for medical school applications.

This article is in no way meant to be discouraging.

Reading it, you might think that if you decide to pursue pre-med, you'll have to give up everything that's fun and sociable about college in order to not fail out. While you will have to make some hard decisions about how to spend your free time and will often times find yourself having to prioritize school over your social life, it's not true that you'll have to give up the "college experience" entirely. The thing I want you to take away from this is that you will have to make sacrifices and you will have to alter your priorities, but this doesn't mean you can't go out and experience everything exciting and fun about college in the process.

The truth is, no major is easy, but especially not the sciences. But I promise you, once you get the hang of things, survive classes you thought you'd never pass, and discover your true passion for learning, it's so worth it and you'll never want to turn back.