6 Strong Reasons to Consider In-Home Rehab When Overcoming an Injury

In-home service is always the best.

41

Whether you've broken a bone or suffered another accident, fully recovering from an injury is often a time-consuming process. It may be quite some time before you are able to return to your normal routine and do everything you normally do. This is especially true for senior citizens, who often face a longer recovery period and are more prone to injury and illness as they age.

Though physical therapy and other elements of the recovery process can take some time, this doesn't necessarily mean that you'll have to spend countless hours in the doctor's office. In fact, many patients choose in-home rehab as an alternative form of care — and studies have found this can be just as effective as office visits.

To get a better understanding of why more people are choosing in-home rehab after an injury, I spoke with Jason Bliss, co-founder of Healthy Living Network.

Here's a closer look at why this could be a better recovery option:

Convenience

"Naturally, the first benefit that comes to everyone's mind for in-home rehab is the convenience of it," says Bliss. "It's a lot easier to manage care when a provider comes to you, rather than trying to get to the office yourself — especially if your injury makes it so you can't drive."

Patients who choose in-home rehab don't have to worry about the sometimes-complicated logistics of receiving care. The therapist comes to your home so you don't have to arrange transportation or other services, allowing for a more streamlined approach to healthcare.

Comfort

Visiting a doctor's office can be stressful, especially if you have to fight traffic to get there or the office has long wait times or other issues that make you feel uncomfortable.

For some, this can contribute to failing to keep scheduled appointments, which will ultimately cause care and the recovery process to fall behind schedule.

When you receive care in your home, these stresses and concerns aren't an issue.

You enjoy medical assistance in an environment you are comfortable with, which makes it easier to focus on your therapy. Your caregiver can even provide helpful tips regarding changes you should make in the home to better facilitate the recovery process and reduce your risk of additional injury.

Daily Assistance

Depending on the severity of your injuries, you may find yourself unable to perform certain daily tasks as you go through the recovery process. "In-home healthcare providers help patients regain strength and mobility so they can safely perform their daily activities — even if they need to use a medical device," Bliss explains.

Though an injury can impact your ability to perform chores and errands like you did before, it doesn't have to completely disrupt your routine. In-home rehab providers will help you learn how to keep your household running smoothly as you work toward recovery.

Care Reminders

Even traditional therapy programs often require at-home exercises and medications.

Yet, it seems that all too often, a patient will visit a doctor's office, go through a prescribed therapy session, and then return home, where they will completely forget about their personal care responsibilities.

As Bliss notes, this problem is easily avoided with in-home rehab:

"One of the reasons that in-home rehab can prove so successful is that patients typically have someone checking in on them every day to make sure they are keeping up with their recovery routine. Whether this is an in-home visit or a phone call, these reminders hold patients accountable and keep them on track with their recovery."

Personalization

Many of the previously mentioned benefits of in-home rehab could easily be summarized under one word: personalization. When a therapist visits you in your home, there are no other patients or distractions that would remove their focus from your care.

Indeed, many in-home care providers have a limited number of patients so they can better customize each patient's treatments. The end result is higher-quality care that is more directly focused on your needs, ensuring a faster, more effective recovery.

Lower Costs

"Repeat visits to a traditional therapist's office can prove quite expensive," Bliss notes.

"Part of the appeal of in-home programs is that they can be less expensive than comparable in-office care. This is especially true if your situation doesn't require daily help from a healthcare provider. Depending on your situation, the care will also be covered by insurance."

Though you'll need to do your research to determine the potential costs associated with an in-home healthcare provider, special programs and benefits are often available to senior citizens and other qualified individuals to reduce expenses.

With today's expensive healthcare environment, every extra bit of savings helps.

As with a traditional physical therapist, you should do your research so that you can find an in-home healthcare specialist who is right for your needs. By combining expert input with a customized at-home treatment plan, you can fully recover from your injury and get your life back to normal.