Connecting With People in College

Connecting With People You Only Meet Once

"You can't just come to FSU, bond, and then leave! Do you really have to go back? Can you just transfer?"

142
Maria Marrugo

I don't know why, or when it started, but I don't have shame in asking people (whom I've never met) to come over and visit. Okay, I know it sounds kind of psycho when I say it out loud, but bare with me.

I'm the type of person, that makes plans with people to come visit, and I mean it. I reache out to people I haven't talked to, and simply said, hey can I come visit you? I haven't been rejected yet, which helped me build my confidence.

See, I'm the type of person that when someone I follow on Insta comes to Chicago, I get super excited and want to hang out with them.

I think the first person I went to visit was my best friend Jamie, at NYU. I've been to NYC multiple times, and spent a summer there, so it technically doesn't count.

Lexington

My first state school, was probably visiting Jane at U of Kentucky. I literally got a bus ticket and went to Kentucky. Easily, best decision of my life. I met her roommate Yardley, and friend Hannah, whom I still visit. In fact, next time I went to Lexington, I actually stayed with Hannah and went to Keenland with her friends. I've met the best people, and made the best connections, with people I know I'll get to see probably once every two years, and it is my most torturous paradox.

Tuscon

My next visit, was U of Arizona. My step brother graduated from there, and it is my beloved safe heaven. I spent the 4th of July there, and Niko had an online class and decided to stay in. I don't know when or where my ovaries grew, but I went down to the lobby, where there was a darty, and decided to go talk to people and mingle. This sounds very glamorous, but I was extremely nervous. My anxiety was kicking in, but I wasn't ready for it to limit me. My heart started racing, and my throat started to close on me. I felt light headed and my hands were shaking, regardless I got up and went to the beer pong table and asked if I could play. The guys were so welcoming and after a while they asked who I was there with; by this time I had warmed up to them, plus some liquor courage, so I admitted that I knew no one here and I was balls to the walls scared to talk to everyone. They thought it was the coolest thing ever, and we chugged a beer in honor of my courage!

We then went to an SAE party, and I met this guy Lenny. Lenny is from New Jersey and he's the only other person that was from the East Coast, and we literally made eye contact and we instantly knew.

Denver

Then I visited Evan at U of Denver. I slept at his frat house, and all the guys were nicer than all the girls I've ever met, combined. I walked in to the basement, and God's Plan is blasting. The next morning a chef comes in and makes everyone crepes. I met Evan's best friend Kerek and immediately hit it off by talking about The Beatles. My best memory would hands down be, being drunk, listening to The Beatles, dancing outside, watching the stars. It was a magical time, and that weekend I knew I've made some really cool friends. It's so refreshing meeting people that you don't have to try hard around, where being your truly awkward self is enough. I don't always feel connected to people, and it's nice to feel reassured that things will be fine. Our generation is f*cked up, but we will be okay.

Miami

In August, I visited my close friend at U of Miami. Again, spent the most amazing time with Taylor, and on the ride home I sobbed. Not only was my mini person no longer in Chicago, but she was having fun, and I knew I would not get to spend as much time with her anymore. I met all her friends, and had such an amazing time with everyone, just to tell them that I'd probably see them again next fall.

Tallahassee

FSU was so much fun, and everyone kept asking me to transfer. Obviously I miss my friends, but guys understand that I wasn't mentally ready to go there when I was young, and now I'm finally starting to like Chicago. It broke my heart, saying goodbye to my friends, and the new friends I made. It felt good to be surrounded with people I've known for years, but you have to realize that I wouldn't have been like this had I stayed in Florida. I learned the hard way, all the personal issues and insecurities I have. It was easy to do that far away and not hurt my close friends. As shitty as my first two years in Chicago were, it taught me a lot. It turned me into the (striving to be) wholesome person I hope to become one day.