The Future

The Future

Connecting With The Future

19
The Future
book-aesthetic

The real world is scary, let's face it.

My new world will comprise everything I have to give to others – to my family, to my university, and to my future career. Over the course of eight years, I have switched career paths constantly. My first idea was to become a singer, then a dancer, and then an actor, or perhaps even all three at once. I wanted to become someone great, someone who changed the world, mainly through theatrics. Today, I aspire to be a writer, any sort of writer—an author, a journalist, a blogger, anything. However, lingering in the back of my mind, I ponder on the life of a Wycliffe Associate. “Do what you love, love what you do.” I found this quote while trying to break my writer’s block for a story I was writing. It may be cheesy and overused, but I think there is more importance to it than just a saying on a coffee cup. When someone asks, “What do you want to be?” People tend to say their future or current career choice. I have never heard someone respond with an emotional or inspiring idea. Becoming both an author and a Wycliffe Associate is the path I dream to walk, but it won’t be a walk through the park.

There are several different types of writers, such as copywriters, journalists, novelists, and editors. Writing professionals are employed in different areas of work, from academics to business, journalism to entertainment. Although, a majority of writers are self-employed, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Writing is a very diverse field, with a variety of career paths. The national salary for entertainment writers is about $58,400. However, how do I accomplish becoming a successful writer? I start now. A high school degree is the minimum educational requirement to qualify for a majority of writing jobs. Coursework in English, reading and writing are important. Future writers can also write for their yearbook or school paper to develop skills. Before undertaking on an academic or career choice, writers should decide on a specialty. Do they want to write fiction as an author? Do they want see their words make it to the big screen as a screenwriter? Personally, I enjoy creative writing above all. Getting to create my own story, my own world, is what I love doing most. Perhaps one day, I can share that with the world. But all in good time.

The education that must be earned for a writer isn’t as simple as one would think. There are two types of writing training. Formal and informal. Formal training includes completing a degree program at the undergraduate or graduate level. Some writers choose either an associate degree in English or a bachelor’s degree in English, in which my case, with a passion in writing or creative writing. After completing a degree, writers can begin to seek out full-time writing positions. For writers who want to become authors, poets and screenwriters, the road is slightly more challenging. Why? That path includes writing a novel, collection of poems or screenplays, attempting to secure an agent, and selling their work to a publishing firm. It can be a long road that takes dedication and persistence. But in my eyes, it’s completely worth it. Of course, to become a writer, having a degree is not always a requirement. However, an English degree is one great way to get started on a career in writing. I’m striving for a Bachelor’s degree in Creative Writing. To be a successful author, I have to have language skills, imagination, diligence, communication, along with some ambitious attitude. Seems like a fun path to take one day.

Who wouldn’t want to travel around the world and spread the greatness of our God to children? A Wycliffe Associate is an academic administrator who is on a mission to teach the greatness of our God, to children who have never heard his name. However, reaching the rank of a Wycliffe Associate requires quite a bit of work. You have to use your experience to guide the educational environment for students and staff prepping for language development and Bible translation work worldwide. Qualifications are Master’s Degree required, Ph.D. preferred. Teaching or other instructional experience and previous cross-cultural experience is beneficial. By 2025, their goal is to create the Bible in every language.

In conclusion, there are so many different career choices out there. Perhaps my wish to become an author or a Wycliffe Associate will change one day. One day, I might wake up and think to myself, “I think I’ll find the cure for cancer.” Any choice you make in life will never just be handed over to you. You must work hard to get where you want to be, and i’m starting now.