Confessions From A Single Romantic

Confessions From A Single Romantic

Inside the mind of someone who just wants to be wanted.

89

"What ever happened to chivalry? Does it only exist in 80s movies?" Emma Stone famously said this line in "Easy A" back in 2010, and it has stuck with me since then. Sometimes I think that her character is the only person who understands how I feel. How come boys don't come up to me in the hallway, not knowing a thing about me, and ask if I want to catch a movie with them later? Did people once used to do this, or is it some false advertising for romance that old movies used to show? Why in this day and age do I feel like so many people are single, myself included, but don't do anything about it?

I mean, it's not like I've never had a chance at love. I've had many crushes (some deeper than others), and I've gotten attention at parties before, but no matter what nothing ever comes out of it. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be the one to initiate a relationship? Are boys my age stupid? Or am I just a naive, hopeless romantic who expects the most out of everything, not realizing that not everyone wants a relationship. But why not?

I want someone who's not afraid to profess their love for me. I want someone who constantly wants to hug me. I want someone who will take me out to dinner. I want someone who already knows everything about me but is interested in knowing more. I want someone who will sit next to me at holiday parties, so my aunts and uncles will finally stop asking that one question that I hate answering: "When will you get a boyfriend?" I want someone who will genuinely love me.

Chivalry isn't gone. I know that love exists in my generation. I've seen it in my sister and my best friends relationships. But why not in mine? It's hard to be single for so long and not wonder what's up. Why is nothing happening? I try to be optimistic and think that one of these days someone will come into my life and truly want me, but it gets tiring. I don't know how much longer I can keep watching my favorite films and TV shows about love when I have almost nothing to relate to them.

I do understand that I am still so young. I am still a teenager and I'm worrying about the chance of no one ever loving me! Hell, there are probably people in their 40s who could have written this article. The point is, is that I don't want to be one of those people. I want to experience young love, for I see it as the purest form of love.

I am not begging, or desperate for a relationship. I don't need someone romantic in my life, I am not sad for being single. I am single and I still love myself and live a happy life. Nothing and no one will ever change that, but there isn't anything wrong with wanting to be wanted.