Confessions of a Recruitment Chair

Confessions of a Recruitment Chair

59
Confessions of a
Recruitment Chair

With recruitment right around the corner, every girl on campus has one thing in mind: NEW MEMBERS. Who doesn’t dream about the new incoming pledge class?

To almost every sorority member, bringing in a new pledge class requires only a few things. These include, but are not limited to: showing up to a weeklong recruitment practice, participating in exactly six long days of recruitment, and lastly, a fun, screaming, picture-taking-filled bid day. I went through my first recruitment on the “other side” last year, and WOW - who knew this much thought went into this? As a PNM I went from house to house so quickly and so lost that I didn’t even notice what people were wearing, let alone the color of the napkins or the sprinkles on the cupcakes.

I took on the role of recruitment chair this past spring. When I thought of being in charge of recruitment, this is what came to mind: A summer filled with crafting banners and nametags, deciding on food and drinks, along with the deciding the outfits of 90 girls. Sounds great. But as my summer went on, the crafting had to be placed on the backburner. Phone calls, emails, bump groups and headaches had replaced the time. Let me tell you ladies, being in this position is not easy. And I know it’ll only get harder from here because, well, recruitment hasn’t even happened yet.

As each day rolled by and another online order had been placed, I almost lost sight of why I was really doing this. I mean, why was I doing this? The stressful nights worrying about the budgets, the mental breakdowns over figuring out a workweek schedule? All for what? Then I remembered. New Gamma Phi’s. Just saying it can bring a smile to my face.

In a few short weeks, we will have forty new members running towards their uncontrollably excited new Bigs on Memorial Mall. We will have forty new members coming up to the house to get their New Member Pins and to begin their lifelong journey in Gamma Phi Beta. It’s beautiful. All the hard work that I have put into planning recruitment, along with all the hard work my sisters will put into recruiting these girls is going to change lives. These new girls will create friendships that will last a lifetime. They will learn everything there is to know about a wonderful organization and learn to live by its values each and every day. We are truly going to change lives for the better.

As you go on with recruitment, just keep what I said in mind. I know the days are long, and talking for ten rounds in a row is tiring beyond belief. But just keep thinking about the new pledge class and I promise that it will be worth it. Me, along with each of your recruitment chairs, have done all the pre-work for you. Now all you need to do is recruit. And we know you can do it.