8 Confessions Of A Starbucks Barista

8 Confessions Of A Starbucks Barista

Things you should know about ordering.

11011
8 Confessions Of A Starbucks Barista
Information Week

Five in the morning: The streets are abandoned and only the glow of the street lights keep you company. As soon as we open the doors 30 minutes later, the zombies already show up for their daily routine. Starbucks is something everyone can enjoy, whether you're jerking yourself awake or satisfying your sweet tooth. As a partner of the company, caffeine should be listed as the eighth wonder of the world. There are definitely some experiences every barista can admit to having, no matter the location.

1. We don't mind the secret menu.

The secret menu doesn't have to come from any specific website, but any handcrafted beverage that's not on our menu is referred to as such. Do not tell us the name of the drink, tell us the ingredients or process. I'll gladly make it for you. Feel free to print out the page and give it to us, but it might stop our work flow for a bit.

2. Everybody waits.

If your wait was long, realize that there are more people working than just me. I may have made your drink, but I didn't make your food. It's a process.

3. No one likes to be stared at.

Leaning and watching the baristas at the espresso bar is a pet peeve of every barista. It's unnerving and quite annoying. Stop that and play with your phone or actually converse with us about something. If you think your drink might have been skipped, you can easily just tell us.

4. Our building is not our fault.

It's not my fault you could not find a parking spot. I can't expand it, but you can walk. There are times even drive-thru lanes might be closed for construction. Now, if the restroom needs toilet paper or the wifi doesn't work, tell us!

5. We make mistakes.

We are not all good at every aspect of the job. If you noticed a mistake or received the wrong drink, let someone know! We can and will give you a new item. Got somewhere to be and can't make it back? Give us a call. The shift supervisor will most likely take down your name/number and ensure when you do come in, you receive a better experience. Customers coming in for a remake of their drinks from another store is pretty common, as well.

6. Call ahead.

Coffee travelers take time, and if you have more than 12 people drinking coffee (or if they will drink more than one 8-ounce cup) you'll need more than one. They take roughly 20 minutes to make and possibly up to 30 minutes during a rush. Plan ahead! Don't come to the store expecting us to ignore everyone else because you need to make your meeting in 10 minutes. You have an order for six drinks? Feel free to give us the drink order and come in to pick it up at a specified time.

7. Mobile order is not perfect.

Mobile ordering is a mixed bag. Sometimes it's literally five seconds of saying you're here for a pick-up, gathering and leaving. Other times, the stickers might not print, or your food may be ready, but we may still be making your drinks.

8. Politeness will get you everywhere.

A lot of people go to Starbucks. A lot of cranky people. Dealing with the crowds really makes the small interactions so much more noticeable when any customer stands out as polite or encouraging.

Seeing well-behaved kids, small acts of kindness or just a nice conversation really makes me want to keep this job. For a lot of baristas, that's all it is: a job. For me, I was a shift supervisor, barista and a trainer all three years I've been working at Starbucks. If your experience was less-than-satisfactory, let the manager know. The customers really do make the job great! In essence, be polite and we should always be polite back.