Confessions From A Perfectionist: 6 Ways To Calm Yourself

Breathe in.... Breathe Out.
644

Dear You,

You had a hard week. Nothing wanted to go the way you wanted. You screwed up on the simple things. And you took it out on yourself. Hard. You suddenly felt like the world was pretty much crumbling right in front of you. You're beating yourself up for the little things. It's micro, however in your mind it's more macro. You start wondering.... Is this even worth it anymore.

I am the one to say, yes it is. The screw ups are always small. Very rarely are they huge. Most of the time they are so small. And easy fixes. However that's not the case for you and I. For us, these small issues, can feel like the world is ending. And it sucks. I know for me, I can't really really panicacy. I start freaking out. I hold my breath. I stop thinking clearly because my mind starts telling me I'm not good enough to do whatever it is I should be doing.

I'm speaking from experience. Aka, earlier this week. The week started out awful. I was in an immense amount of pain. I quit eating because I stepped on the scale and saw I had gained rather than lost weight, because you know that's the logical thing to do (sarcasm fully intended). And I screwed up on two reservations, I work for a hotel and for me that's a huge issue. Even though, later on, my manager informed me, it was a very easy fix and that I need to just breathe.

Just breathe. Seems to be a constant. I take major pride in my work. If you're into any zodiacs, your sign can honestly tell a lot about you without you saying anything. A coworker of mine told me that, which then made me want to research it more. I'm a Capricorn. We are all about hard work. We take major pride in our work, and we want it to be near perfect. As I read on I'm thinking to myself, "this makes so much sense." It explained my psycho attitude when it comes to being the best at what I do and why I go crazy when I'm not at work.

Well, there are a few ways to bring yourself back down;

1. Breathe.

That's right. Inhale.... Exhale.... So simple, yet so hard to do when your mind is racing at about 90 miles an hour. It stops your heart from racing, and it stops you from sending yourself into a downward spiral of panic attacks. Which by the way suck so much. Deep breathing exercises are a really good thing to take up.

2. Meditate.

Believe it or not, meditation is the absolute best way to calm the soul and relax the mind. Doesn't matter how you meditate, just matters that you do it. Meditation helps clear away any unwanted thoughts and feelings. I know for me, my church offers beautiful healing meditative services every Sunday night, it's the absolute best way to start my week. I start with a clear mind and a positive outlook on the week.

3. Music.

Music is a definite way to heal your mind. Without music, I know personally, I wouldn't be here right now. The one thing I do through any anxiety, panic, or mood attack, is listen to contemporary christian music. There's a specific band that helps me. Hillsong United. Their music just really speaks to me when I'm feeling really down.

4. Write.

Writing does a lot for a chaotic mind. It helps put those thoughts you can't really verbalize into words. It's one thing my therapist taught me to do, and now, I write all the time. Doesn't matter my mood, I'll continuously write. About literally anything. And it's so therapeutic.

5. Find something that calms you.

Which could truly be anything. For me, if I'm anxious at work, I find folding key holders soothing. Mainly because I'm working with my hands and it keeps me very occupied. I've had nights, where I've folded every single key holder in the hotel. It's soothing. Weird, but soothing.

6. Work Out.

This is one that I used to do every time I felt myself feeling "off" and man I was in damn good shape. It's a major stress relief, plus it's so good for you.

So now you know. Things that can help put your mind at ease. Relax the mind. Sooth the soul, because your mental psyche is so important. And don't be afraid to relax!