The Confessions Of Someone Who Is "Too Old For Disney"

Extra shot of pixie dust, please.

11
Lauren Margliotti

If you went to Disney World as a young child, you probably have fond memories of meeting your favorite characters, frolicking around the park with a tiara or pair of Mickey ears or eating any sort of mouse-shaped confection. You had all of the energy in the world, as well as an extensive to-do list for your day at your respective park.

As someone growing up with a love for Disney-related anything and everything, a trip to Disney World has always provoked feelings of happiness and excitement for me, regardless of my age. From 8, to 13, to almost 20, I have always correlated Disney with feelings of positivity and joy.

You may be wondering why someone of my age would be so excited over a commercialized animated mouse, and you make a valid point.

I think what makes us Disney people so excited over the matter is that it reminds us of such a simpler time. When we were first introduced to Disney, whether it be through the classic films or through Disney Channel or another outlet, we were more than likely young and carefree. We associate Disney with the glory days of our youth.

While we may be spending a good fraction of our hard-earned money at the parks, accounting for the tickets, hotels, flights, food and merchandise, I often hear people say that it's all worth it. I have to agree with them, because we value our happiness and overall experience, especially when we are on vacation. You hold up that $35 Minnie Mouse shirt, and you debate whether or not you really want it, but my philosophy is that I've spent this much already, and it seems to add to the experience at the time, so why not?

It's perfectly OK to be a kid at heart. In fact, I firmly believe that too many people get too caught up in the pressures and stresses of "the real world." Whether it be college, work, or both, life catches up to us pretty quickly. As a result, we often miss out on chances to take a second to stop and smell the roses. We allow ourselves to become engulfed in the negativity associated with everything we have going on. These feelings ultimately manifest in grim outlooks on a number of topics.

That is why it is so important to allow yourself to embrace your inner child and youthful spirit every once in a while, and Disney World is just the place to do so. I cry on "it's a small world" because the music and detailed scenery overwhelms me. But honestly, that's OK. For that amount of time, I forgot about everything that was weighing me down. I took in my surroundings and thought about how they made me feel, and that sort of feeling is something that no amount of money could buy.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go find my Minnie ears.