Confessions Of A Commuter: Time Management

Finally, I realized all this freedom comes with a price. And the only way to pay your dues is to know when and how much you can handle in one day.

30

There is so much to be learned from college beyond the chalkboard and never ending quizzes. Personally, I think I have the bulk of learning left to do. What I can say is that there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.

Cheesy I know, but it's true. Sometimes it feels like college is just a continual vortex of dark sadness that only goes away when you’re asleep. While that may hold true, remember, that’s only if you don’t do it right. Once you get the hang of it, there’s actually so much more than just homework, projects, and exams you can get out of college.

First step to making to most of college is figuring out how to use your time. You will find that there are just not enough hours in the day to go to class, finish homework, attend the meeting for your favorite organization, party with your friends, AND study for your exam worth 50 percent of your grade the next day. Fortunately, you will find that if you prioritize your day, you wont have to scramble to finish everything at once.

Flashback

My freshman year of college at UH was hectic beyond belief. I definitely owe the majority of my crazy year to the amount of time I wasted when I could have been doing anything. I found myself hanging out with friends almost all the time, when I knew I had assignments due and tests to study for. Another way I wasted precious time was always going out. Whether it was exploring downtown with friends, or just eating at our favorite restaurant, there were more important things that I was putting on the back burner instead.

Fastforward

Today, I am so thankful for that semester of freshman year, regardless of what I lost. I don’t think I would ever have figured out how to plan and manage my time had I not faced the consequences first. Most of my time wasting came from trying to avoid responsibilities. I didn’t want to face that fact that college is full of obligations. No longer was I under my parents' thumb, and there were no teachers breathing down my throat to turn in assignments on time. Finally, I realized all this freedom comes with a price. And the only way to pay your dues is to know when and how much you can handle in one day.

Plan Out Your Week

No, I don’t mean write out your every move in a calendar and follow it exactly. Instead, keep a mental list of things you absolutely MUST complete by the end of the week. This means knowing your due dates. Know which assignments are due first as well as how long they will take. This way, you’ll have an idea of what needs to get done in the back of your head. If writing this down helps, buy a planner and jot down any important dates.

Don't Procrastinate

If you have a big test coming up, don’t put off studying for it until the last minute. Instead study in increments, so you're not cramming the day before. This sounds like such an obvious way to keep sane in college, but unfortunately so many college students still insist on putting off work until the last minute. Procrastination might have worked in high school, but college is a different ball game!

Prioritize

Prioritizing your daily doings will help immensely in the long run. It sounds like another no brainer but there is nothing more important that knowing the value of something. What is the value of completing your homework assignment, and what is the value of watching a TV show? Which one has a higher value? The answer should come to you naturally!

These are all simple ways to manage your time! Of course, sometimes there will be situations where you can’t apply these tips, and in those times you will just have to use your best judgment. Most of the time, however, if you stick to these suggestions and learn from my mistakes, you will find that things come easier than they seem when you have an idea of how and when to accomplish them!