Confessions Of A Christmas-aholic

Confessions Of A Christmas-aholic

Because it really is the most wonderful time of the year.
44

So, Christmas is just around the corner. Department stores are starting to put up their displays, holiday specials are getting scheduled for their normal lineup on Freeform's (RIP, ABC Family) 25 Days of Christmas and the radio stations are beginning to play different versions of the same old songs we sing each year. Some people are completely overwhelmed by the Christmas season and the hustle and bustle. For me, there are only two seasons: Christmas season and the season before Christmas season.

I am a Christmas-aholic.

I don't know how I got to this point. One minute, I'm 7 years old singing Jingle Bells with my first grade class, the next, I'm turning Christmas music on religiously in August and crying my eyes out on December 26th. There's just something about this time of year that makes me feel happy inside, and I guess I just want it to never go away. Some may call this a weird, unhealthy state of mind, but what's wrong with a little extra cheer every now and then? Whatever the case may be, these are my confessions.

Confession: I listen to Christmas music all the time. Starting the day after Halloween, the other genres of music will not exist to me until some time after the new year. From Bing Crosby to Mariah Carey, I know every single song, forwards and backwards. If I hear a store playing Christmas music, I'm 20 times more likely to buy something there. (Okay, that might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I'll definitely stay in the store for as long as possible.)

Confession: I will watch Christmas movies at any time of the year. If I happen to get through the season without watching some of my old favorites, I will cram them all in on Christmas night and cry a little bit when they are over.

Confession: I have completely planned a Christmas themed wedding on Pinterest and I am not one bit sorry about it. Some say February is the month of love, but I would have to argue that December beats February by a mile. Christmas is also way more romantic than Valentines Day. My bridesmaids will wear red dresses with gold heels and poinsettias will be in my bouquet. My husband-to-be will also have to love Christmas as much as I do, so this wedding may actually never happen.

Confession: It totally bothers me when people forget the CHRIST in Christmas. Without the birth of Jesus, there would be no Christmas. So, take a second out of your commercial holiday cheer and recognize the reason for the season, Scrooge!

Confession: I cry on the day after Christmas (and the day after that.) Like really, is there anything more depressing than going back to normal life after the most wonderful time of the year? New Year's is kind of exciting, but does not hold a candle to Christmas. I admittedly play Christmas music after Christmas, it just takes some of that pain away.

Confession: I like to think that somewhere, out there, there is a Santa Claus. Call me crazy, but Christmas magic is totally a real thing and so is the guy in the red suit.

The time until the big day is slipping by very quickly. Spend time with your loved ones and have the best Christmas ever, and if you're a Christmas-aholic like I am: do everything that you love to do during the holidays. Watch the same movie ten times over or make way too many cookies, we are of the same mindset. Have a wonderful holiday season, and Merry Christmas!