Concealed Carry: Guns On College Campuses

Why guns should be allowed on college campuses.
59

All too often we hear horror stories about school shootings. These stories are tragic, and heartbreaking to hear. When these horrific events occur, the media is quick to point the finger at the weapon, and are insistent on restricting the availability of them. However, I think we need to increase the availability.

In today's society, it is very difficult to receive a permit for guns. If you do have a gun, it is very difficult to use it and carry it. When people make the decision to buy and own a gun, it is decided for a number of different reasons: hunting, sport, or self-defense.

With so many school shootings that have happened, you never know when something might happen at your college. Almost all of the past school shootings have occurred at schools with gun free zones...so what's the point? A school banning its students from having guns is a school failing to protect and keep its students safe. If students are allowed to have guns on campus, they would be safer in an emergency situation. With violence increasing, it is always better to be prepared for the worst. When it comes to weapons and guns, many think of it as a safety insurance of some kind. One of the biggest issues with allowing guns on campus is that the topic is taboo and controversial. If guns were simply allowed on campus, it wouldn't be such a big deal when someone has one.

Certain schools are located in crime-ridden areas of town. There is no telling whether someone, who may or may not even be a student, will come onto the campus and start shooting. That is why it is very important to be proactive and prepared for anything. If someone has a strong desire to shoot, they will find a way to do it; all we can do is be ready and prepared for the worst of situations. Colleges and universities should not require students to have guns, but they should by no means ban students from having them. When students attend college, they want to feel safe and protected. If a student feels a little bit safer having a gun, let them! The best thing a university can do to keep its students safe is allow them to have guns for protection. If even one person has a gun, and is in the right place at the right time, hundreds of lives can be saved.