Which Little Women Movie Will Be Better?

The new Little Women premiered on Christmas day, and I cannot wait to see it.

17

I have been waiting for this since the moment that I found out that it was in the works for being produced. With a powerhouse cast of Saorise Ronan, Timothee Chalamet, Emma Roberts, Meryl Strep, and Laura Dern, I can't help wondering how it will compare to the original movie, starring Winona Ryder, Christian Bale, Claire Danes, and many others. The 1994 classic truly embodied the charm of the story, and all of the characters possessed excellent chemistry. Although I do not doubt that the remake's cast members have incredible talent and aptitude, I fear that it will not comply to the high standards of the original, as remake's often fail to do.

The 1994 movie offers the warm, slightly fuzzy cinematography that is characteristic of movies during that time. It is quintessentially quaint and comforting, and makes you want to curl up and watch it with a cup of tea. However, from the looks of the trailer for the new movie, it seems that the director made efforts to maintain a similar atmosphere of antiquity that accurately harkens back to the time period of the story.

The biggest downfall that could occur from the movie is if the chemistry between Jo and Laurie fails. In the classic, the characters were casted perfectly, and you so badly wanted them to end up together. Their romance truly made the movie what it was. However, Saorise Ronan and Timothy Chalamet both starred in the movie, Lady Bird, not too long ago, and so I expect that their strong friendship and familiarity with each other will carry over, and they will embody the difficult and tumultuous relationship of the beloved couple.

However, like most things, I won't know until I actually see the movie, but at least I can go in with high hopes and a bucket of popcorn!