My Dad's College Experience Compared To Mine

8 Things About College In 2019 That Were Different For My Dad, A '91 Graduate

A lot has changed since the class of 1991.

348
Isabella Hornick

Over the years, a college student's way of life has changed. My dad is a graduate of Lock Haven University's class of 1991. During his four years, he majored in Political Science, minored in German, and graduated with a Bachelor's degree. He always tells me, "I didn't have that when I went to college" or "When I went to college, this was different." All these statements inspired me to create a list of typical elements regarding college, and then compare our own experiences together.

1. Phones/Social Media

Isabella Hornick

Phones are a huge part of our everyday lives. Recently, Apple has selected Temple and a few other universities to allow students access to their IDs right on their phones. This is super helpful if you've ever forgotten your ID in your room (I did this once and freaked out because I also forgot my room key). Social media platforms such as Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat occupy a great deal of my time as a college student. In this day and age, photoshoots for your instagram are essential.

"I had no WiFi/internet to entertain me. Our social media was talking to each other."

2. Dorming

Isabella Hornick

I currently live in a four person suite in a resident hall. I share a room with my roommate and our suite mates are in the room right besides us. We also have our own bathroom and shower to share between the four of us. During the winter months, we have heat, and in the spring/summer months, we are blessed with air conditioning.

"My room was about the same size as yours, except we had no AC. The whole floor shared a bathroom with six showers and toilets. There was also a phone since there were no cell phones back when I went."

3. Music/Concerts

Isabella Hornick

I honestly don't know what I do without music. I listen to it everyday and am constantly excited about my favorite artists releasing new music and tour dates. So far I have gone to three concerts in Philly during my first six months of college and even have one planned for April. Some of my current favorite artists include Why Don't We, Charlie Puth, Troye Sivan, Jon Bellion, and EBEN.

"I listened to Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, things like that. The concerts I went to were in the gym, so it sounded terrible."

4. The Library

Isabella Hornick

Now don't get me wrong, I'm an English major and I love libraries, but personally, I have only been to our library to work on my Quantitative Methods in Social Science group project, (Shoutout to my amazing group, Alenah and Aicha). Most school libraries now have online databases where you can get all your research at the tip of your finger. A majority of my studying and work is done on my trusty laptop.

"You needed to go to the library to get research for the papers you were working on."

5. Procrastination

Isabella Hornick

Let's just admit it, this happens to the best of us. I like to think I'm good at time management, so luckily I haven't encountered this that frequently. I like to stay on top of my work and check things off my list.

"I did procrastinate a lot... don't recommend."

6. Food

Isabella Hornick

This category is a little difficult to compare since I'm vegan and options aren't abundant for me, but I think the food is decent. I typically eat oatmeal, veggie wraps, black bean burgers, and fruit.

"Food was terrible; it was like high school, except with a cereal buffet."

7. Hobbies/Interests

Isabella Hornick

Writing is my main hobby, but I also like to read, draw, and go to the gym. I also watch a lot of youtube videos and listen to music when I have free time.

"I played some basketball and threw the football around for recreation. Oftentimes, I was hanging out with my friends, chatting, and listening to music. Going to the record store down town was a weekly occurrence to see what new music was being released."

8. Friendships

T

Richard Hornick

In addition to my best friends back home, I have made some really great new friends at Temple. I know I'm only a freshman and I'll make even more friendships over the years. I can't wait to remember all these people and keep in touch with them even after college.

"I made great friends during those four years. I still even see some of my best friends (shoutout to Joe, Rob, Scott, Dan, and Todd) from time to time. We like to get together and discuss our kids going to college now."

Things have changed since my Dad attended college, but the one thing that will remain the same is having these experiences to treasure for the rest of your life.

Thank you for all the great advice, Dad. You have truly helped me through the struggles and stresses of my freshman year; it is greatly appreciated and doesn't go unnoticed. I couldn't have asked for a better guide and role model to support me through my first year of college.