Commuting Conundrums

Commuting Conundrums

5 tips to make your trip stress-free.

8
Commuting Conundrums

If you're a daily commuter like me, then you're very familiar with the struggles surrounding commuting. To simplify it, it's a hassle, but whatever gets you to point A and point B is all that counts. I've been commuting for a bit now and here are some tips I've learned to share to those who are new to the commute game.

1. Pack Light

Don't be that guy. You know, the guy who brings 30 bags or the woman who brings two huge bags with them. It holds up the line, they're hard to maneuver and they just create more of a hassle for you. Packing light takes care of that and every one continues smoothly on their way, including you!

2. Bring Entertainment

Commuting, especially if it's far, can be super boring and it can drag on. The best way to make the trip feel like it's moving quickly is to bring some form of entertainment with you. I suggest music as well as something else. Bring a good book, make sure your phone is charged or do some word puzzles. Honestly, bring whatever you can easily pack that will keep you entertained for a bit.

3. Pay Attention

Depending on your means of travel, you're constantly on the go and everything is on a specific schedule; the best way to ruin your trip is to miss your stop. Depending on your means and your route, missing the stop can be worse than other times.

If you're on the train, which moves pretty quick and there's a bit of distance between the stops, missing your stop can be a bit of an issue. If you're on a bus and the stops are close together, it's only a minor inconvenience, but it's still annoying. Pay attention and you won't have to deal with those inconveniences, leading to you having a better travel experience.

4. Leave Early

No matter the distance of your trip, always leave early. Public transportation is a really great invention but you're not the only one relying on it. There are a lot of people who depend on public transportation to get where they need to every day, and that means there are going to be a lot of stops. The more stops, the higher chance of a delay. I've been on buses that came 5-10 minutes late before. Also, sometimes public transportation is early; if you leave early you'll still catch it, but if you leave at the last minute, you'll have to run to catch up!

Also, because it's public transportation, those vehicles are going all day, they get a lot of use and like any machine or technology, they can break down. You as a commuter probably won't know if the vehicle you're waiting for had problems, at least not right away. Be prepared to have to wait longer than you originally planned. Leaving early is the best way to keep your stress levels down if something happens.

5. Be prepared

In the spirit of keeping things moving quickly and efficiently, be prepared. You can see when the vehicle you're waiting for is about to pull up; if you can't, you have a schedule and you should be keeping track of the time. Have your fare ready and your bags up and packed so that you can quickly get on and off the vehicle. Doing this keeps everyone happy because people don't like to wait and it keeps you from feeling rushed or frantic.

Commuting is always a bit of a hassle but it gets the job done. For the daily commuter these tips are more of a review but for those new to the game, these tips can be very helpful. Honestly, just do everything you can to make the trip as smooth sailing for yourself as you can.