I have always been one for talking. When I was little, I used to share how I was feeling in the third person. It wasn't uncommon for me to say things like "Molly is happy now", and "Molly is upset now." My family was always aware of how I was feeling and what I wanted to be doing. As I got older, I continued to make others aware of my feelings, but I learned that not everyone shared their feelings the way I did. My friends didn't always say how they were feeling and my partners in group projects weren't always upfront about the work (or lack thereof) they were doing.

It was really bizarre entering into a world where people struggled to communicate. Students struggling to communicate with teachers, children struggling to communicate with parents, and adults struggling to communicate with each other seemed to be a common theme once I got to high school. The communication gap got even wider when I went to college. A perfect example of this happened during my first year of college. My roommate kept turning our air conditioning unit off. I eventually asked her why she did this. She told me it was because she thought I was cold but didn't want to ask. We laughed about it and now understand that communication is absolutely vital to living together in a healthy manner.

Today, I understand communication is one of the most important things we do as human beings is to communicate with each other. Being able to share how you feel or what you think about a certain topic is essential to collaboration as people. Students, we need to better communicate our ideas to our parents, teachers, and other adults. Communication will go farther than an IQ score ever will.