What Is A Sleep Disorder? 6 Common Types Of Sleep Disorders

We need our sleep

221

Sleep is vital for the human body to live a healthy life. Unfortunately, more than 75% population of American suffers from sleep disorders every year. Sleep disorder is mostly observed in the age group of people between 20 to 59. You can see the adverse effect of sleep disorder on your overall health, safety and quality of life. One crucial thing about this health issue is that you don't even realize it until it gets worse. The reason behind this is that people are not aware of its symptoms and cure properly. However, if you don't start treating sleep disorder early, it might risk your life. Therefore, with the intention to spread awareness about sleep disorder, we have written this article.

Read on!

What is Sleep disorder?

As per the medical definition, the sleep disorder is any disorder that affects, disrupts, or involves sleep. In simple words, troubles that bother you while sleeping and doesn't allow to rest during the night on a regular basis. Ultimately, you end up losing your energy becoming dull and weak.

What are the symptoms of sleep disorder?

There are mainly six symptoms that can help you detect sleep disorder in its early stages and they are:

1.Suffering from trouble falling asleep

2. Feeling drained during daytime

3.Drowsiness during the day

4.Loss of tolerance

5.Lack of concentration

6.Depression

If you are facing any of these problems often, please visit the doctor for medical help and guidance.

What are the types of sleep disorder?

Sleep disorder has a broad definition hence it becomes hard to find out if it is real trouble or just a momentary effect. Generally, the sleep disorder is a group of six major sleep problems that cause long-time health issues to the patient and, they are:

Sleep-Related Movement Disorders - As the name suggests this disorder is about the sleep movements. A person who is suffering from this disorder does some abnormal movements while sleeping like bruxism or teeth grinding. In most case, the person doesn't remember it after waking up but, its effect is seen in on their body and day energy. However, sleep disorder like sleep talking can be harmless too. Voonky has captured sleep-related disorder in detail through a blog which is very informative and in depth.

Insomnia - It is the most common sleep problem which is faced by almost half of the population. Here, you find it difficult to fall asleep and staying asleep during the night hours. Insomnia is classified in three stages depending on its severity. They are Transient, Intermittent and Chronic. Mostly, insomnia is caused due to prolonged high stress and anxiety. Chronic insomnia needs medical help as you can cure it on own.

Sleep-Related Breathing Disorders - Trouble in breathing while sleeping is termed as the sleep-related breathing disorder. One of the most popular disorders of this category is Sleep Apnea. You start suffocating during sleep and disturbs your sleep. In some case, people have even lost their life due to choking. You can identify sleep apnea by the regular snoring while sleeping. It is better to take medical help to cure this problem.

Hypersomnias - A person who sleeps more but feels lazy through the day are suffering from the hypersomnias. On an average, such people take more than 9 hours sleep and still don't feel refreshed after waking up. This problem is mostly observed in older age. The instant symptoms are being irritated or lousy immediate after waking up.

Parasomnias - You can also call it as the sleep forgetfulness. A person who suffers from parasomnia behaves weird during the sleep time and forgets everything once awake. Weird behaviors can be bed wetting, sleepwalking, and nightmares. Usually, kids suffer from this trouble. If adults are suffering from parasomnia, its happens due to post-traumatic stress, sleep restriction, excess alcohol, chronic pain, and being under any medication for a very long time.

Circadian Rhythm Sleep-Wake Disorders - Playing with the body clock can affect your sleep cycle adversely. Circadian Rhythm is the body clock which sets your body sleep and wakes up time depending on your schedule and natural lights. People who work in awkward shifts or travel to different time zone too often suffer from this sleep disorder. Common symptoms are feeling trouble getting sleep and waking up on time.

These are the six different type of sleep disorder that affects your sleep quality and eventually your health. Few of these disorders need medical attention while others can be cured by tweaking a little your routine. However, you can improve your sleep experiences with the right sleep habits. Hope you found the given information useful!