Common Comments I’ve Gotten When Telling People I’m Starting An Extreme Diet With My Boyfriend

The people aren’t mean but the food sure is.

19
Abby Perez

Starting off the beginning of the year means fresh beginnings so I had planned to start clean with a diet. They say the hardest thing about staying on it is that everyone around you tempts you with their normal diet. However, choosing to do this with my boyfriend makes this decision SO much easier, along with people's support.

I'm very lucky to have such great people in my life that day equally as great comments. Here are a few comments that I've been told that may or may not encourage you to get your fit life going this beginning of the school year:

1. “Remember to eat!”

Although some people may take this in a bad way, it shows care! It's especially heartwarming when they had looked at my boyfriend and said, “make sure she eats" —it shows not only the lay care for my well being over body image, but also that my partner wouldn't want to jeopardize it either!

2. “You don’t need to, but I support you.”

We tend to think diet-ing is primarily for losing weight. And although that is ONE of my personal reasons, I know deep down that I shouldn't have to do it to cut down to a size or shape. What makes it even more worth wild is when others have told me this, especially my boyfriend during this process.

3. “You and your boyfriend are adorable/cute/goals!”

It’s great having a support, again, but people encouraging it, rather than discouraging it, helps you through the rough days.

4. “There will be bad days.”

Speaking of— DIETS DO SUCK, but they’re not forever. It’s a great way to try new things to better your lifestyle and sometimes that takes some sacrifice, as my boyfriend has reminded me.

5. “Make sure you rest.” 

Fatigue becomes a big thing with the specific diet I’m on with him, as I cut out ALL forms of sugar (including fruits!) It’s good to adapt and balance to your lifestyle during this time and nothing matters more than your health. Having partner stop you from yourself really has helped.