Everything You Need To Know For New York Comic Con 2017

The best panels, cosplay culture and what to expect each day.

172

Here is your guide for any first-timers or returning guests looking for a detailed look at Comic Con NY 2017.

Running from Thursday, October 5th to Sunday, October 8th, it brings dedicated fans together for a lively pop culture event, dedicated to all things comics. This fixture is also popular in San Diego, running during the summer.

The annual event will be hosted at the Javitz Center on West 34th Street in Midtown, Manhattan. Public MTA train lines you can use are the 7 train at its first/last 34th Street stop. The city is filled with taxis and cabs, but traffic can cause delays. If you're flying in, John F. Kennedy Airport and LaGuardia Airport are closest for domestic or international travel.

The largest gathering for this fan base in the US, last year's event attracted 185,000 die-hard guests. Expect the area to be crowded with people from across the world for a multicultural experience. Comic Con NY has gone to great lengths to ensure it is a safe gathering with a 'No Tolerance' policy on any bigotry/dangerous/negative behaviors.

If your tickets are Will Call, the box office will be open from that week's Wednesday to Sunday with morning, afternoon and some evening hours. Lines will be long due to the options mostly being for September onward last-minute ticket buyers, so try to get there ASAP. If you need to escape the sure to be thunderous sounds of a large scale event, there will be a quiet room for downtime.

To cosplay or not to cosplay, that is the question.

No dress code is required. However, a world famous feature of the event is cosplaying. It is an intimate experience to create your own costume, bringing your favorite character to life. In those fabrics, you get to celebrate and be them for a fleeting moment. A cosplay is more than colors and designs, it is a relic of your childhood or a new obsession you just have to show off.

Numerous websites such as EZCosplay.com, Etsy, RoleCosplay.com and eBay offer high-quality templates or custom tailor-made ordering services. This can be the best option for those on a time constraint or if you prefer to cosplay from the hands of an industry alum. Prices can vary greatly from one character to another, so it may be cheaper to pick a less popular star.

Even for neutrals attending for the spectacle itself or tagging along, pleasure can be drawn in coming as a character you know. No matter how final your interest is in the field, surely you will know at least one character/film/studio's name. The deepest beauty in cosplaying is its expression. Making the closet-to-reality look is possible, from style, make-up, and accessories, it is all taken to heart. But don't let perfection get in the way of the fun itself with dressing up as the ultimate goal.

One thing to keep in mind when documenting your appearance is that there is a no selfie stick policy. If you want a full body shot of your attire, be prepared to ask staff or kind guests to get your social media shot.

Comic Con NY has put out a call for cosplayers to be featured in their Colin Douglas Gray collaboration. Not everyone who applies will be chosen and a portfolio is required. Agreeing to the Terms and Conditions includes a photo waiver, so you can very well find yourself in slideshow photos which will be reproduced by massive media corporations worldwide. If you come with a detailed costume, expect to have your photo taken by event staff and possibly end up online. Say cheese!

Here is a brief taste of the show floor and what to expect of the 400 panels. Some will occur for a one-time section only. A diverse amount of sections will be offered to appease various areas: from comics, cosplaying, and live film and television adaptions. Subjects will be specific to works or industry topics: diversity, networking, self-producing, trends and the future of the business.

Seeing your favorite multimedia artists in person to show admiration, listening to world-renowned celebrities giving press junket interviews for upcoming sure-to-be blockbusters or finding others with the same passion for off the beat productions as you.

Entertainment guests will be of the abundance. To name just a few: Felicity Jones, Mark Hamill, and Pearl Mackie, all of which you can have a photo op with. For the right price. Expect to score some free goods. Big name sponsors, such as Chevy, will host giveaways of caps and bags. Due to the limited amount of time, here is a quick look at some of the hottest panels and rare sights.

1. VIZ Media Panel

Bringing manga into English translation, it boasts a wide catalog. The core topics of this panel will be Boruto, Tokyo Ghoul, and Sailor Moon. Announcements of new titles will be exclusively revealed there.

2. StarTalk Radio

Hosted by on-air talent Neil deGrasse Tyson and special guest Adam Savage, the podcast meshes science and pop culture. Each episode takes an in-depth look of subjects affecting the fabric of our being. Topics include black holes, the future of the planet and representation of scientific theories in productions.

Guests come from knowledgeable backgrounds to give expert opinions in the series. Its success has led to a television spin-off with the National Geographic Channel. It's as funny as it is informative, and a lot of their existing work will be reflected in other panels.

3. Advanced Kickstarter Panel

This is dedicated to inspired fans with a vision they want to share with the world. Get applicable advice on how to fund your ideas and get published. With the democratization of mass media, anyone can get a following and reach millions of people with the right business plan.

To publish weekly and cultivate your audience requires heavy tools and strategic planning to make every word count and become profitable. Things look easier on television depictions than in real life, so stay tuned for the nitty gritty of this world from Margot Atwell, the Director of Publishing & Comics at Kickstarter.

4. AMC's "The Walking Dead"

The producers and cast will take the stage to reflect on season seven's thrills and most shocking moments. During the sequence, there will be a sneak peek into season eight's plot lines and new introductions.

5. How to Respectfully Write and Draw POC and LGBTQIA Characters

Recognizing historical issues of the misrepresentation of people of color and LGBTQIA characters, this is one of many diverse panels. Artists will learn how to represent characters, avoid isolating audiences and create inclusive works where everyone feels involved. It offers an intimate perspective and explores common issues and how artists can become activists in their own right.

6. Archie Comics & Riverdale

Fans of Archie Comics and/or the CW's hit show "Riverdale" will take delight in an outlook of the page versus screen adaption and get a sneak peek at season 2 to see what will happen next to the small town with big secrets.

7. Titmouse Cartoons

Ask questions to one of the largest 2D animation creators in the country's directors, creators, producers, and animators. Learn how they produce their content to apply to your own work, as well as form or deepen your understanding of the field of making drawing magic.