6 Comedy Shows On Netflix For A Good Laugh

Options for a good laugh.

31
UB Spectrum

Around this time of the year, fall is just around the corner. For a lot of people, fall brings a seasonal slump, a feeling of monotony or exhaustion that comes with the cooler weather and changing leaves. What better way to get out of that funk than with comedy? Netflix is home to some of the best comedy specials and television shows around, from animation to sitcom to standup humor. Here, I've compiled a list of six of my favorite comedy shows on Netflix to get you out of that funk and laughing so hard you might pee your pants.

1. The Office US (2005-2013)

The Office is widely considered to be one of the best comedy shows of all time. Based on the UK version of the same name, The Office is a documentary-style sitcom, where cameras follow a group of seemingly normal people (portrayed by actors such as Steve Carell, Mindy Kaling, and John Krasinski) who work for Dunder Mifflin Paper Company in Scranton, Pennsylvania. All of the crazy personalities and relationships make the show relatable to those watching, and it manages to pull your heartstrings even amongst all the shenanigans.

Best Episode:

Stress Relief (two parts: season 5, episodes 14 and 15)

Most Memorable Quote:

DWIGHT: Depression? Isn't that a fancy word for feeling "bummed out?"

MICHAEL: Dwight you ignorant slut.

2. Bob's Burgers (2011-now)

The Fox hit Bob's Burgers is an incredibly unique show by the standards of animated adult television. It tells the story of the Belchers - parents Bob and Linda, and children Tina, Gene, and Louise - who run their own burger joint, although I'm sure you figured that out. What makes this show such a unique one is the lack of typical television stereotypes. Bob and Linda are happily married, joking around but still incredibly in love. The kids get into silly arguments, but no one kid is made to feel like the family outcast, a running joke of making fun of them. It's such a unique show that tells such funny stories, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Best Episode:

Bob Fires the Kids (season 3, episode 3)

Memorable Quote:

TINA: I'm no hero, I put my bra on one boob at a time like everyone else."

3. Parks and Recreation (2009-2015)

Modeled after The Office, Parks and Recreation tells the story of Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler) and friends (Aziz Ansari, Chris Pratt, Nick Offerman, and more) who live in small town Pawnee, Indiana and work for the Parks and Rec department of their government. It's a show full of hilarity and hijinks, and the amazing cast and crew put together a show inspired by another yet completely original and funny in its own right. Poehler's Leslie Knope is such a down-to-earth, human character (who doesn't ever repeat outfits), and every character has something that everyone can relate to. It's just a true exhibit of people, and I'm still sad to this day that we aren't getting a season eight.

Best Episode:

The Fight (season 3, episode 13)

Memorable Quote:

ANDY: I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well."

4. Archer (2009-now)

This is not a show for the faint of heart. Archer is a late-night animated show on FX, telling the story of super secret spies who work for the International Secret Intelligence Service. They're a group of messes, people who cannot get it together for the life of them. It has a cast of incredibly talented voice actors (including Jon H. Benjamin of Bob's Burgers fame) who bring so much humor to the show. It is such a dirty show, with dark jokes that definitely wouldn't pass on a show that came on any earlier than any time before ten at night. It's such a funny show, and the short length of the episodes makes it an easy one to binge.

Best Episode:

Space Race (season 2, episodes 12 and 13)

Memorable Quote:

ARCHER: "Danger zone!!"

5. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (2005-now)

This is by far the craziest show on this list, and the one with humor of the worst taste. The show is about a group of people - twins Dee and Dennis, as well as Mac, Charlie, and Frank - who run a Paddy's Pub in Philadelphia. Throughout the series, they continuously get into trouble, both legally and morally. The level of insanity these people have is what brings so much humor to the show, and you have to be okay with that in order to find the show funny. To me, it's one of the best shows out there (I plan on going as Charlie for Halloween this year, although I don't have plans yet) and I think that everyone should give it a chance. If none of this has sold you, it has Danny Devito. How could you go wrong?

Best Episode:

The Nightman Commeth (season 4, episode 13)

Memorable Quote:

CHARLIE: Likes: Ghouls. Dislikes: People's knees. Favorite food: Milksteak. Hobby: Magnets. Just magnets.

6. American Dad (2005-now)

American Dad is another somewhat crude animated show that airs on FX. It tells the story of a typical American family who is actually anything but, and the alien that lives in their attic. None of the episodes really follow any specific chronology, and some are just one off episodes that don't make sense in the canon but are funny on their own either way. I think this show is particularly funny to me because my Dad reminds me of the "American Dad," Stan Smith, and we have a relationship similar to that of the one between Stan and his daughter Hayley on the show. It's a show that always makes me laugh, and definitely helped me get through the first two weeks of school.

Best Episode:

Ricky Spanish (season 8, episode 17)

Memorable Quote:

RANDOM PRISONER: [excersing to things they hate] Jean. Jackets. Timothy's. Bangs.