Trust me, I know it is scary. Just a few months ago, you were a big fish in a little pond and now you're a small fish in a very, very big pond. College is a very exciting time, you're going to learn a lot about yourself in the next four years. I can't tell you everything about the college experience in just one article, but I can promise you this: these are going to be the best years of your life. I know there are many lists and articles of advice to incoming freshmen, but I want you to be able to learn from someone who has recently learned from an amazing freshman year of college. In order to have the best first year possible, you should remember three simple lessons.

1. Be brave

Don't be afraid to start a conversation with that boy or girl. Don't worry about what your high school friends think, facing judgement for the clubs you want to join or the major you want to pursue. Speak up in class, because I promise you that everyone in your class is just as nervous as you are. No matter what the subject is, your opinion always matters. Have the courage to speak up when you disagree with something or when something isn't right, because you may inspire others to see things from a different perspective. Being brave enough to share your opinions, thoughts and ideas with others will only better yourself and the world around you.

2. Let go

Let go of the guy that doesn't text you for days. They may seem hard to find, but there are plenty of guys who would be lucky to have you. Let go of the friends that use you for rides and ditch you last minute. Let go of the person you used to be so you can grow into a better you. It's OK to let go. Removing toxic people from your life that drain your energy or take advantage of you will allow you to develop healthier friendships with people who genuinely care about your well-being.

3. Be excited

The day you move in, be excited! Let your family help you move in. Forget about the fight you had with your ex the night before and have fun. You only move into your freshman dorm once, so make it a memory. Let your dad take thousands of pictures even if you've been sweating. Let your mom help unpack your bags and make your bed. Let them take care of you because you are going to miss it in a couple of years. Remember that although moving out is exciting for you, it can be a difficult time for your parents. Be excited to go to the mandatory meeting at 4 p.m. Be excited to join clubs and go to college parties. Be excited for the memories you are going to make in the next four years and for the person you will become between now and graduation.

Everyone is so proud of you for pursuing your dreams. Your parents are going to tell everyone they know that you are going off to college, living on campus, growing up etc. It's going to be hard sometimes but it is so worth it, you have so many resources on campus to make these the best years of your life so make the most of it. Be brave enough to to grow, smart enough to let go, and be excited for an amazing ride.