College Break VS High School Break

College Break Vs. High School Break: Which Is Better?

There has been quite the buzz around the topic of which break is better: college or high school?

39

First off let me start by saying happy New Year's Eve! Hope everyone has a safe night with their loved ones. Winter break has been quite terrific if I may say so myself, but it is kind of different coming home from college instead high school. It's not that it's bad, but it's not that it's great either. Let me explain.

So I had no finals during finals week, which was pretty freaking awesome. I got home on December 10th, when all of my friends at college were still staying there for another few days for their finals. I was so sad because I wanted to stay and see them more, but there wasn't really a reason for me to stay. When I got home I instantly knew that the next two months (yes, I have two months for winter break) would have a different vibe to it.

See, when you're at college you don't really have to drive anywhere or go through the hassle of making plans with people because they are literally down the hall or the building next to you. You could easily hang out with someone or go get a meal with them within five minutes. When you're at home you have to hit someone up, wait to find someone to answer, make plans, drive to said plans made, and it just takes so much time (and money). At college it was nice because everything was very fast paced. There was always something to do or someone to talk to. The amount of time I spend in my room now is ridiculous because all of my friends either are still coming home from college when I'm typing this up or they're still in high school waiting for break to start. It was also nice at college because if you didn't want to go out or hang with people you could just chill in your dorm and sleep or play some video games. When you're at home as a college student you realize how much freedom you had back at your dorm.

Now don't get me wrong, being at home is very nice and I'm so happy I can sleep in my bed and have a clean shower to use. It's just the pace of things here is not the same as it was in college. I have gotten to see some of my friends from home already which is great. We try to go out to eat or chill at someone's house for the night, and it has been so great to catch up with them. The only thing that bugs me is that I feel as though I am constantly trying to make myself busy so I am not sitting at home, and I end up stressing myself out too much.

Luckily for me, I still have my job from the summer to keep me busy and I have all this time to catch up with friends and go on some vacations. I know I'm going to visit some friends from college in New York, I have a sweet 16 to go to (I'm about to go hard on that dance floor), and I might end up driving to Boston University to visit one of my friends in January. So it's not that college break is awful. I have all this time to do whatever I want (within reason), and make plans with all my friends at home. Maybe I'll take a trip to Niagra Falls because that is top on my bucketlist as of now.

There's just a very noticeable difference between being on break as a high school student and a college student. College students tend to have a longer break, but you catch yourself in a lull sometimes trying to find stuff to do. As a high school student you have a shorter break, but it is just the right amount of time to do the things you want to do before going back to school. Both have their pros and cons, but I think high school winter break is just a LITTLE bit better than college winter break.

Also, I meant it when I said I have two months for winter break. I came home December 10th, and I go back February 10th. I'll still be home when the freaking Super Bowl takes place. That's RIDICULOUS. I'm not complaining, but damn. Someone please come make plans with me so I'm not sitting on my ass all day.

But yeah, I know people have different opinions on this topic because I've heard some talk about it. I personally believe that it could go either way based on the pros and cons of them. That's up to you to decide though. Regardless, I hope everyone has a happy New Year and that you're enjoying your time off from school. To 2019!