College Tips You Hardly See

College Tips You Hardly See

There are some things Google just won't tell you.

12
College Tips You Hardly See
College Counseling Culture

As the new school year approaches, and last year's seniors get ready for college, I'm sure a very common search term is 'college tips'. Which makes perfect sense. College is a big change in a young adult's life; new place, new people, and new experiences. And that can often be scary as well. So there are surely some kids out their frantically looking up what their packing list should be, and what to expect. I was definitely one of them. But now that I've been in college for a little bit, I know things that I wish I had found beforehand.

1. Have a well thought out plan

Now, this isn't obvious as you think. It's not just know where you're going to college, know your scholarships, and know how you're gonna get food. I mean every little detail.

Know exactly how you are going to pay for college: all the scholarships, how much you're paying, how much your parents are paying (if they are). Figure out where you're living, and if you're going to need a car. Know how you're going to pay for gas. Know how you're going to get money, if you're going to need a job, and what that job could be. If you are going to live in an apartment, or an apartment-like dorm, know how you're going to get groceries.

This may all seem nitpick-y, or unnecessary, but I promise you, it's not. When you're freaking about your homework load, and how you're going to make it to your 8 a.m. class, you'll be glad you have all the big stuff figured out.

2. Join clubs

No, not that kind of club. Most colleges, during opening week, will have a day where all or most of the organizations and clubs your college has to offer will make themselves known. On that day, pick up fliers and ask questions so you could see what you might want to join. Because chances are, unless you go to your local community college with all of your friends, you won't know anyone. Joining clubs is one of the fastest and easiest ways that you are going to meet new people. The bonus being that these people will have similar interests to you, and will be even easier to talk to. This way also, you can meet people outside of your major.

3. Don't get all your textbooks right away

Almost all classes in college require textbooks, and a long list of them. But these days, college textbooks are super expensive, and the cost adds up fast. There are things you can do that are well known, like try to rent your textbook used rather than buy new.

But, another thing you can do, and it sounds a bit crazy, is don't get all of your textbooks right away. Instead, wait for your first week of class. Once your get your syllabus, take a good look at how often you'll be using each book required. If it's the main textbook for that class, definitely get it. But if it's somewhat obscure and you'll only be using it for a few assignments, don't get it. Instead, consider looking for an e-book or an online file for the text you'll need.

4. Get food basics with your school supplies

Now, this one is a little bit conditional. But, if you're living in apartment, or apartment like dorm with a kitchen, you'll want to get some basic groceries with your school shopping; like flour, sugar, eggs, etc. Some nights, you won't want to go out, and you'll be really tired of the cafeteria food. And sometimes a home-cooked meal is what will keep your sanity. So having those ingredients on hand will really help you out on those nights you just want to stay in.

5. Don't bring your whole closet

It's very tempting to pack every little bit of clothing you own. Who knows what events might come up? But trust me, you'll be too busy with all other aspects of school to put much thoughts into what you wear. So save yourself the time, and closet space, and think about what you'll actually wear.

Bring a bunch of basics, like jeans and simple shirts. It will make getting ready for your 8 a.m. class a lot faster and easier. Bring one or two coats, not each one you own. You don't need to worry about looking stylish when it's below zero. And bring a few nice dresses or suits. There are only so many things that call for you to look fancy.

6. Bring decorations

Dorms typically have white cinder block walls and gray carpets or tile floors. So they aren't exactly the prettiest things out there. To make it feel a little less like a prison cell and more like home, bring decorations; like posters and photos of your friends and family. Bonus points if those decorations also double as storage space and light.

7. Don't call home too much

When you're far away from home, you're most likely gonna be missing your family a whole lot. And will want to call them a whole lot. But don't.

A call once in awhile is fine, but call too much, and you're going to be even more homesick. You need to get used to being more independent, and calling home all the time is not going to help. Space out your calls and make them meaningful.

7. Have fun!

College is a big change. You're gonna meet lots of people, learn a ton of new things, and have plenty of great experiences. There are going to be plenty of hard times too, and people bringing your mood down. But push through! Go party (very moderately), go make friends, and go make it some of the best years of your life. It's a once in a lifetime experience.