5 Summer Break Goals To Complete Before August Hits

I needed a reminder too.

48

For most college students, summer break is drastically different than the summers we enjoyed in high school. The summers become more frantic; trying to have fun while responsibilities loom overhead. Once July hits, it feels like a fast track to the first day of classes and there's almost no time left to prepare for another stressful semester. The items to check off the to-do list seem daunting and seemingly easy things to do slip through the cracks.

To make this summer a little easier, here's a small reminder of the most obvious but sometimes overlooked tasks to get done today.

1. Check the status of your fall class schedule

A lot of people think that once they put their schedule together in April that it's set in stone for fall. Wrong. Schedules can change, classes can disappear, and you'll be left scrambling to figure out what you're doing come August. It only takes a couple minutes to log into your student account and look over your schedule again. Doing it now gives you plenty of time to get in touch with a professor or adviser if you notice something is off. In addition, it gives you an idea of what your workload might look like, what textbooks you'll need, and how you'll plan the rest of your time (work, extracurriculars) around it.

Oh, and a chance to look up those teachers you're unsure of on RateMyProfessor.

2. Figure out how you're paying for those classes

College is draining in more ways than one; paying back those student loans is a fear for many of us. In order to keep yourself from getting overwhelmed, take a look at your financial statements through your student account. Be aware of when your next bill is coming, how much it is, and how you're going to pay it.

Nobody wants an unexpected bill in the mail asking you to pay a third of your tuition.

3. Get to know your roommates

I made the mistake of getting to know my roommate last year a little late and doing so makes a huge difference in how the living situation goes. If you already know your roommate(s), great. If you don't, get in touch with them now to feel out the vibe of someone you're going to spend the next year with. Making friends with your roommates makes living in a small dorm suffer-able and the process of moving in a lot easier.

Trust me, figuring out who is bringing what makes that pre-semester shopping less of a headache.

4. Apply for on-campus jobs now

If you're someone in need of a job while in school, take advantage of the time you have now to scope out some possible positions. Most schools have an online network of job listings to sort through. Get your applications in now to give yourself plenty of time to seek out all the opportunities.

Finding a job certainly isn't easy (and probably the most painstaking process known to man) but getting a head start and potentially lining up a position eliminates a lot of stress.

5. Decide what you're packing and leaving at home

Packing and unpacking my room twice a year is my least favorite thing in the entire world. But it has to get done. When I came home for summer, I left a few boxes packed full of things that I know I won't need again until I head back to school and have been throwing some other items in every once in a while. It's a helpful strategy, as it makes packing a little less overwhelming.

A bit of advice: you don't need every item of clothing in your closet to go with you. It only takes up more space and you know you're never going to wear it.