10 Fashionable Necessities To Have In Your Closet As We Creep Into Fall

As we slowly and quietly make our way through the fall semester, things are changing all around us. Among the most notable of these is the weather outside. Growing up attending college in the Northeastern United States, I know that the daily weather is as unpredictable as can be. With that in mind, may I present this list of 10 things that college students MUST have in their wardrobe during the months of October and November?

T-Shirts/Layering Shirts

While T-shirts are (rightfully) associated with the summer, they have their place once the weather turns. Most of the time, you can wear these shirts underneath sweaters, hoodies, flannels, and any other heavy clothing items. If you own T-shirts with a company logo, a common look is an open hoodie or flannel, leaving the letters of the T-shirt exposed.

Sweaters

There's a Spongebob episode that features the famous Striped Sweater song. However, it's not only the striped sweaters that can be worn all the time. Crew neck, quarter-zip, buttoned, striped, solid, you name it. Make sure you have some of these at your disposal. Not only are they warm and comfortable, they often go with any outfit you can imagine.

Flannels

These are my personal favorite. Flannels aren't only warm, but they are the fashion statement of many college students. They come in many bright colors and patterns. Plaid are my personal favorite. However, having a few solid, darker colored flannels present a more serious, casual look. These work when you have an in-class presentation. Unless the professor specifically requires a certain look, a solid black flannel will present a serious, yet comfortable, look.

Sweats

I personally don't wear sweats and hoodies a lot, but the benefits of owning them are abundantly clear. They're warm, comfortable, and most of all, people won't judge you for wearing them in college. It's common to see people walk into earlier lectures in sweats. On cold days, the heavy material keeps you warm. They also double as sleepwear, which is an added bonus.

Vest/Light Jacket

Owning a vest or a light jacket comes in handy in the fall and spring. These are the times that it's too chilly to walk outside without an extra layer, but not cold enough to require a winter coat. Think North Face-type of clothing. Darker colors pair well with almost any outfit, and people will comment on your well put-together outfit.

Winter Coat

When you go to school in a climate like in New England, you know the struggles of being outside in the winter. Make sure you bring up your heavy winter coat after Thanksgiving, because that's when the weather officially takes the turn for the worst.

Plenty of Shoes

When deciding what shoes to bring, it helps to split them into three categories: Sneakers, Casual, and Dress. Each has their place in a college students' wardrobe, and it never hurts to be prepared.

Sneakers: ...are sneakers. These don't need explaining. Sneakers are the most common for daily wear and are often the most comfortable. Converse and Vans can be lumped into this category.

Casual: These shoes are useful for when you want to wear something nicer than sneakers or athletic shoes, but you don't need to dress to impress. Boots, Top Siders, and sandals (in the summer) are all casual shoes.

Dress: Again, you should know what dress shoes are. Just make sure your shoes match the rest of your outfit, and you'll be golden.

Formal Outfits

Having a few articles of nice clothing comes in handy for campus events, presentations, and (if you're into it) Greek Life recruitment. Don't go for the generic black and white. Add a few different colors so that you can stand out from the crowd. Also, don't bring much more than 1 or 2 sets of formal clothes, as the rest of these outfits will just collect dust all semester.

Rain Gear

Last year, my parents bought me a rain slicker with my school's logo on it. It rains fairly regularly where I go to school, so it definitely helped to have it in my closet. Waterproof shoes and an umbrella add to your protection against torrential downpours that will drench your campus.

Accessories.

For my final point, I'd like to suggest that you bring extra items like gloves, a scarf, and a hat/baseball cap. These can add warmth in the colder months, as well as bring an extra layer of style to complete your outfit. Once again, it always helps to be prepared.