8 Lessons For The College Student Approaching Their Final Semester

The end is in sight.
1035

I’m approaching my last semester of college and it’s giving me mixed feelings.

On the one hand, I’m really excited to never have homework again and to be done cramming for final exams.

On the other hand, I’m going to miss being a student, going to class with my friends and staying up until 2:00 a.m.

The end is in sight. It's time to make the most out of your final semester. Here are some last-minute bits of advice:

1. It’s okay to be afraid of growing up.

Adulthood means paying your own medical bills, filing your taxes and saving up for a mortgage.

For most students, a college diploma means financial independence, and that’s terrifying when you’ve never experienced it before.

2. Prepare yourself for the working world.

Start searching for jobs during your last semester. Put effort into your resume and cover letter. Show up early for your job interview and master a firm handshake. Update your LinkedIn profile regularly. Remember to say thank you.

Success in the working world is all about respect and reliability.

3. Think about the future.

And I mean really think about it. What kind of future do you want? Where do you want to live? What are your financial goals? What are your personal goals?

These are huge (and unanswerable) questions, but they're important. It's the best way to make sure you're on track to succeed.

4. Start saving money, like, yesterday.

Easier said than done, I know, but you're going to need it. You can't do anything without money as an adult, so start pinching pennies.

A five-dollar coffee or five dollars toward paying off your student loans? You decide.

5. Make time to call your family.

There's a lot going on during your final semester, but don't forget to call the people who have supported you since day one.

I guarantee that they miss you and want to know how you're doing.

6. Don’t slack off.

It’s easy to imagine that diploma already in your hand, but don’t get lazy. You need to devote just as much energy to your studies as you did every other semester.

This semester is probably the most important one yet. It’s crunch time!

7. Remember to have fun.

Make time for yourself. Do things that make you happy.

Sleep in, do yoga, hang out with your friends, go to the gym, buy a bottle of wine, binge-watch something on Netflix…Your brain is going to need a break after three and a half years of hard work.

8. Be a kid.

This is your last chance to make bad decisions, shirk responsibility and get drunk on a Tuesday before it's no longer socially acceptable.

Wear sweatpants to class! Post a swimsuit pic on Instagram! Send your crush a risky text! You're only young once.

Now get out there and make some memories!