15 Pieces Of Advice For College Seniors Entering Spring Semester

Before you know it you'll be a full-time employee with a family of your own and real adult responsibilities.

229
pexels.com

Wow, this is it, guys. Our final semester of college. It's crazy how fast first semester flew by, every day bringing us one step closer to graduating and starting our lives. I must admit I'm currently feeling both excited and apprehensive, as I will miss being a college student and all the fun and experiences I've had over the years.

However, I'm also ready to take on the next chapter of my life. As this next and final semester begins, I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling and thinking a million different things right now, trying to make the most of the last few months of my undergraduate career.

So with that, here are 15 pieces of advice for college seniors coming into this semester:

1. It's OK to feel overwhelmed, but don't let it consume you

This semester will be challenging academically, socially, and personally. While it's normal to feel bogged down and under a ton of pressure about so many things, your health comes first and you can't let anything control you to the point that it makes you sick. Take it one day at a time. Accomplish one thing at a time.

2. You're not the only one wondering "What am I going to do with the rest of my life?"

I know it's easy to look around and feel like everyone has their lives together but you, but believe me, everyone's in the same boat here. This is a difficult time and your life will be changing in so many ways soon. It's not a sign of failure if one of your peers already has a job lined up and you don't yet. It's not a sign of failure if you still haven't found your passion. Everything will come together, things always do.

3. Nostalgia will be common and will bring with it bittersweet emotions

Whether you're walking by your freshman dorm, listening to a song that reminds you of a certain time, or seeing old photos of yourself, you won't be able to help but feel nostalgic. You'll think, "where did the time go?" "I wish I could relive that night!" "If only I could start over." All normal. Don't cry because it's over, smile because it all happened. It's truly a gift to have something in life that's so hard to say goodbye to.

4. Excitement will start to set in about finally being done with schoolwork

Finally, 16 years of homework, assignments, and meeting deadlines is over! (Of course this is far from the truth if you plan on attending grad school) Pat yourself on the back for all the hard work you did to get to where you are today. Graduating college is no easy task and is something only around 30% of Americans get to experience. Be proud of all you have accomplished thus far. So many doors will open for you down the line.

5. Be bold and take every risk and opportunity this semester

Just do it! What are you waiting for? Go and do all that you have been afraid to do throughout your college career. Risk- taking is part of life. You have the chance to turn your whole life around this semester if you want. Take that class that's always interested you, ask that person out who you've had your eye on for a while, face any fears that have held you back all these years! You don't want to graduate with any regrets, so honestly, what do you have to lose by trying?

6. Ask for help when you need it

If you feel overwhelmed with schoolwork and that your grades are starting to suffer, talk to your professors, classmates and TAs. They are there to help you and want to see you succeed. If you're feeling like your mental health is starting to be negatively affected, talk to those you trust and see if you can even meet with a campus counselor. If you feel lost regarding your post-graduation path, talk to your advisor. It's very important to be able to talk to people about any issues you are experiencing. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness, but rather of strength.

7. Make time for yourself

Between rigorous classes, job searching, extracurriculars, etc, it's hard to find "me-time." However, making time for yourself is healthy and vital to your well being. You need time to recharge your batteries and take a breath. It's easy to forget your needs during this whirlwind of a time, but it's necessary to make time to rest and pick yourself back up.

8. Make time to have fun, too

This is your last semester of college. Remember to enjoy it! Savor those nights out with your friends, because someday you'll wish you could go back to the times where the only things that mattered were school and how you would style your hair for the night. Embrace being this young and carefree!

9. Take pictures

I personally take more pictures than necessary wherever I go, but I do this so I will have something to look back upon years from now. Trust me, you'll want to remember what you wore the night of your 21st birthday, what your dorm room looked like freshman year, how you and your friends all looked at age 19, etc. It's true what they say, pictures really are worth 1,000 words.

10. Tie up loose ends with people

If you have any lasting problems with certain people, do your best to bring both of you closure. There's no point in graduating with a dozen "what-ifs." Reach out to that friend you fought with, talk to your ex (if safe) about how you feel about your breakup. Don't leave college with stories unfinished. It's very important to start this next phase of your life with no bad blood between you and anyone.

11. Set aside time to search for jobs and network

Yes, it's a lot to deal with and can make you want to rip your hair out at times, but try to at least send out 2-3 job applications a day. Call companies you want to work for. Work on your resume. I know it seems so daunting but it will all pay off, trust me.

12. Whatever you do, do not develop Senioritis

This is the home stretch! Don't quit now! You've worked so hard your whole life, you can do it for one more semester. It's easy to focus on the end rather than what's in front of you, but having an efficient work ethic and maintaining good grades will carry over into your future careers, so make sure you keep your drive alive!

13. Cherish each day

These past few years have gone by so fast. One minute you're setting up your freshman dorm room and the next your applying for graduation. Enjoy your classes, cherish having your friends all living within a mile radius of you, even enjoy the dining hall food, you'll miss all of this and will one day wish to go back and relive just one day of college. It's easy to just want to get through these days sometimes, but you need to remember to make these days count.

14. Don't waste your time on negative energy

Don't let silly arguments, break-ups, or rude people negatively affect your outlook on yourself and on life in general. It's important to put your needs first and distance yourself from unnecessary drama or problems that can hinder your personal growth and success. Stress is injurious to your well-being, and no one who causes you massive anxiety, sadness, or worry is worth being around.

15. Remember, you're only this young and in college once, so live it up!

This is the last time you can stay out until 3 a.m. on a weeknight and sleep in until noon the next day. This is the last time you can walk next door to visit your friends/significant other. This is the last time you will ever be this young and around hundreds of people the same age as you. So yes, get your work done, but please, have fun! Before you know it you'll be a full-time employee with a family of your own and real adult responsibilities, so remember to treasure these last few months of some of the best years of your life!