To The College Professors Who Make Their Students Hate Being In The Classroom

You should learn how to make your students love coming to class.

846

I've been in college for four years now. I attended two different colleges, with a plethora of different students and teachers along the way. So far, I feel like I've been pretty successful with my college career. But that doesn't mean that I haven't struggled.

Most of the teachers I've come across have been so understanding and helpful. They generally want their students to grow and learn. They want us to succeed. They want us to be able to apply our knowledge to whatever job we have one day. You'd think this is how all professors are, right?

Well, unfortunately, some professors don't care that much about the success of their students.

I had a professor last semester that showed obvious favoritism. She favored certain students and they came out with better grades than those she didn't like as much. She made our class feel as if our signing up for this REQUIRED course was an inconvenience to her life. She made it seem like life was too hard for her to grade papers in a timely manner. She gave out grades based on whether she agreed with what you were saying, rather than on merit.

She made me hate being a college student, and she made me hate having to go to her class 3 times a week.

As everyone knows, college isn't a cheap investment. It requires a good amount of money and a good amount of time and hard work. Until I graduate, college is my career. I spend 5 days a week here, and so far, I've loved it.

But when you come across a professor who tears you down, it makes you hate spending your time and money to be here.

This semester, I have a professor who gives us advice for our future. He gives us assignments based on different job options we could get with our degree. He is preparing us for our future.

And he shows actual care for preparing his students to succeed, rather than fail.

This professor reminded me why I'm here, why I'm spending all this money to get this degree, why I spend so much time trying to succeed. He made it clear with his dedication to students and with his words that he loves his job and he wants to best for everyone he encounters on campus.

So, professors, take notes because your students shouldn't dread talking to you or attending your class. Don't tear your students down and make them hate college. Set everyone up for success.