Studying Is Important, But So Is Having A Social Life

I Wasn't In The Best Mental State To Focus On School Work Until I Began Having Fun With My Friends

This chapter of my life also is where I can be reckless and sometimes make dumb decisions and frankly just have fun.

69

In high school, I never saw the appeal of partying. Sure, I hung out with friends on the weekends and went through a so-called "rebellious teenage" phase. However, my academics have always been important to me.

I came to college to get an education, so I can get my degree and make a change in the world. I know I have big ambitions, but I also believe I have the drive to achieve them. I mean, I chose to go to a school that would give me the best opportunities to be the best version of myself and accomplishing everything I want to in life.

Yet, because of how focused I was on school my first semester, I was absolutely miserable. Sure, I made Dean's List, but at what cost? I wasn't happy.

I was staying in my room, maybe going out every now and then, and occasionally studying at the Tech Center. I had a perspective of what my life at college would look like, and I just wasn't living up to that standard I set for myself. I wanted so much more than what I was doing.

It took until my second semester when I was beginning to push myself more to be more social that I felt like I was finally in college. Going out on a Friday night with my friends put into perspective that I deserved to have fun.

I understand that I am at college to graduate and enter the "real world," but what about the memories along the way? Do I really want to look back at my college experience without having any memories other than studying and networking.

Don't get me wrong. College has so many opportunities to make connections between future careers and employers and can take you so far in life. However, this chapter of my life also is where I can be reckless and sometimes make dumb decisions and frankly just have fun.

I can be serious. I mean, I have an internship, taking 17 credits, have a 3.7 GPA, an active part of my student organizations, go to the gym, and cook my own meals. I know how to time manage and ask for help when I need it. Not to brag, I think I'm doing pretty great.

For most of my life so far, I have been trying hard to get good grades and get out of my hometown. I've made it. Now, it's time to still work hard, but also allow myself to enjoy life the way I'm supposed to. This is the life I always dreamed of having, so I need to start embracing it.

I just know for me, I wasn't in the best mental state to even focus on my school work until I began going out and having fun with friends.