50 College Packing Essentials

50 College Packing Essentials

A College Packing List for the Indecisive and Chronic Over-Packer

31
50 College Packing Essentials
pexels.com

When it came to packing for college, I basically packed my entire life into about a hundred boxes. I realized that after the year was over, I only actually used about half of the things I had packed. So, I have compiled a list of things that I actually used during college to spare you the pain of cramming unnecessary junk into your car.

Bathroom Supplies:

1. Toothbrush & Toothpaste- I’m really hoping this one is self explanatory.

2. Shower Caddy- Carrying all of your toiletries in one trip isn’t humanly possible.

3. Multiple Towels & Washcloths- This may seem excessive to some, but who wants to do laundry every week?

4. Dish Soap - *Sigh* yes, you’re going to have to do dishes.

5. Scrub brush - Let’s be honest, no one wants to scrape out coffee from the bottom of a mug with their bare hands.

6. 1 litter bottles of shampoo and conditioner - Because running our of shampoo automatically means you’re going to have a bad day.

7. Shower curtain & Shower Mat - These will prove incredibly helpful to help you not floor your bathroom.

8. Deodorant - Or your roommate might hate you.

9. First-aid Kit - Pack a bag of bandaids, nonprescription pain meds, eyes drops, etc just in case of emergencies.

10. Small mirror - If you’re rooming with a lot of girls, you’ll quickly find that mirror space is a hot commodity - so bring a personal one for when you’re in a rush and everyone is getting ready.

11. Trash can - If you’re bathroom doesn’t come with one, this is a must.

12. Cleaning supplies - No one like to clean, but no one likes to live in a pigsty either.

Dorm Stuff:

13. Laundry basket - Word to the wise, buy a decent laundry hamper because you may end up carting several pounds of laundry down multiple flights of stairs and cheap handles can turn into a laundry disaster.

14. Rug - I'm sure I'm not the only one with a dorm room full of carpet stains, but a rug instantly made the room more homey and less of an eyesore.

15. Bedding - Pro tip: always check to make sure that they are Twin XL, or they won’t fit right on dorm beds.

16. Blankets - The AC in dorm rooms is basically bi-polar, so bring a blanket in case your attacked with a cold spell in the middle of the night.

17. Trash can (yes, another one) - You’d be amazed at how much waste you go through in a week, so keep a trash can under your desk to minimize the mess.

18. Desk lamp - Because you’ll more than likely have to pull some all-nighters!

19. Extension Cords - Dorms only come with so many outlets, so extension cords are a must so you can plug in all of your devices.

School Supplies:

20. Laptop - Tip one: you’re going to use this every single day, so buy one that’s built to last. Tip two: invest in a case for protection and so that your laptop is unique to you.

21. Notebooks - Even though I took most of my notes on my laptop, some of my classes required notebooks.

22. Planner - Your planner will become your life in college because it’ll be the one of the only things in your life that’s actually organized and dependable.

23. Backpack - Unless you want to carry 300 page textbooks in your arms, you’ll probably want to backpack to store everything.

24. Number 2 Pencils - Because you’ll be taking Scantron tests all the time throughout your college career.

25. Highlighters - If you’re a visual learner, highlighting passages from the text or due dates on syllabi can help you remember things you won’t want to forget.

26. Post-it Notes - These are great as page markers, reminders, etc.

27. Folders - You've been using them since 1st grade, so I'll leave this one to you.

28. File Folder - I kept a special file folder with backup copies of all of my essential documents (copy of my driver's liscence, health card, etc.) just in case of an emergency

Extra Stuff:

29. Bluetooth speaker - Whether you’re jamming in the shower or at the park with friends, you can never go wrong with an extra wireless speaker.

30. Refrigerator - In all honesty, a mini fridge is definitely not what I would call a necessity - but it’s super convenient for storing leftovers and groceries.

31. Printer - I survived my freshman year without a printer, but it wouldn’t been a major help when all my papers were due.

32. Plates & Silverware - If you ever plan on cooking, you’ll probably need these.

33. To-Go Mugs - Because coffee and college are basically synonymous when you have 8am classes.

34. Snacks - Granola bars are a life saver, just saying.

35. Small Duffle Bag or Suitcase - Whether your flying home, visiting a friend, or going on a retreat - you’ll probably need a small piece of luggage to pack your essentials for short weekend trips.

36. Lanyard with an ID Holder - You literally need you student ID cards all the time and a lanyard is an easy way to keep your keys and ID with you at all times.

37. DVDs - Because some of the best nights in college are spent lounging around the TV with some popcorn.

38. External Phone Battery - If you're team iPhone, you know the daily struggle of being on low-power mode, so get an extra battery to keep you charged all day.

39. Backup cords & Headphones - Phone charger cords and headphones are notorious for dying in dire circumstances, so pack extra!

40. Water Bottle - Hydration is so importance, so bring a water bottle to keep your body and healthy.

Clothing:

41. Business Attire - Pack a suit jacket, pencil skirt, and a some nice dress shoes because in college you’re going to have to do some presentations, attend functions, and dress to impress.

42. Tennis shoes - If you want to beat the freshman 15 and you’re hitting the gym, a good pair of comfortable shoes is an essential

43. Athletic Clothing - Whether you’re an athlete or not, having some comfortable clothes to exercise in is an essential for everyone.

44. Sweatshirts - Fall nights spent out by the bonfire can’t get chilly, so bring some clothes to bundle up in.

45. Jeans - Jeans should be considered a wardrobe staple for everyone so I’d advise bringing at least 3-4 pairs.

45. Causal wear - Some basic tees, your favorite pair of leggings, and other basics are a must-pack for your college life.

46. Sunglasses - A pair of shades helps to protect your eyes and jazz up any outfit.

47. Socks & Underwear - Word to the wise: these have a way of disappearing in the laundry room, so you really can’t over pack this item.

48. Rain jacket - Because nothing is more miserable than walking into a classroom soaking wet in from top all your peers.

49. Sweatpants - Two words: finals week.

50. College apparel - Celebrate the fact that you’re in college by showing off some college spirit.

So there you are, a packing list that outlines the essentials to get you just one step closer to being ready for move-in day! It might take a few carloads and a lot of cardboard boxes. However, in the end, following this packing list will prepare you to conquer freshman year like a pro!