College Packing: 15 Essentials You'l Need If You Want To Survive

It takes courage, patience and sunscreen.

8

College packing can be stressful, especially for a college freshman. Often you are confused about what is absolutely important to bring and what you can leave behind. Below are some hidden gems that people don't think of bringing to school with them. Hopefully, this will help with the overwhelming packing process.

1. Sleeping bag.

This is extremely helpful for when you go away for a weekend or if someone comes to visit you. Whether it is sleeping over at a friend's house or going to a retreat, it comes in handy. It will save your guest from sleeping on a cold, hard dorm room floor when they stay over for the night.

2. Sewing kit.

It is easy to gather some neutral color thread and needles in case a button comes off your shirt or you rip your pants. Sewing is really simple to learn how to do and it’s a great skill to know when you don’t have mom around to do it for you.

3. Toolbox.

Toolboxes are great in case something in your room breaks, a screw comes loose, or the people before you left the room in awful condition. Simply having basic tools like a screwdriver can help make your life easier. Sometimes you won’t always get new furniture, even if you report it to your school. They may not have it or the paperwork can get lost in the shuffle, especially when there are hundreds of students looking for new furniture too.

4. Cards/envelopes/stamps.

It’s great to be able to send a handwritten birthday card or note to a loved one. Make sure you bring some!

5. Iron.

It is really good to be able to EASILY fix wrinkled clothing, especially if you have a big class presentation or an interview.

6. Brita filter.

This is great if you are worried about the water that filters in your school’s city. Really any filtration system will do! Water at schools are usually fine to drink from the tap, but you can never be too careful.

7. Flashlight.

This is great in case the power goes out during a storm, if you come back to your room while your roommate is asleep, or if you are walking on campus late at night. Although you can usually download a free flashlight app on your phone, it is always good to have a spare.

8. Travel mug.

A great travel mug can be a lifesaver during early morning class or a very cold winter. During those busy school days it is good to know that you can have your caffeine fix.

9. Games.

Bring a few fun items like card games or board games. They are really great for fun nights with friends. Apples to Apples or Cards Against Humanity are a few college favorites.

10. Insurance and other personal information.

Make sure you bring a copy of your insurance, a passport, and at least memorize your social security number. There are going to be important moments for which you may need this information, such as a trip, filling out work information, or financial paperwork.

11. First aid kit.

Pack a kit full of antibiotics, Band-Aids, and other first aid materials. You never know when it will come in handy!

12. Flash drive.

This is great in case you need to save work from a school computer or run to the library to print something out. Bring at least one; they are very helpful in a desperate situation.

13. Sunscreen.

This can be great for those sunny days on the quad, impromptu visits to the beach, or a hike; or for Le Moyne students: Dolphy Day. It will save you from a nasty sunburn and regret.

14. Medications.

Make sure you have plenty of your multivitamins, Pepto Bismol, decongestants and other supplies. It will save you an unnecessary trip to the school doctor or emergency room.

15. Body pillows.

Body pillows are the best inventions ever. Though it isn’t necessary, they provide a great source of comfort.