If Typical College Majors Were Songs From Taylor Swift's New Album

Big Reputations, Big Decisions

4064
YouTube

Taylor Swift's album Reputation dropped on November 10, 2017.

So far this album has sold over 1.6 million copies in the U.S. in its first week, and over 2 million copies worldwide. It went straight to the top of the charts in 12 countries and became the 2017 best-selling album in the United States. So how does this album relate to college students?

Well, based on a careful analyzation of each song and lyric, it seems pretty clear to me that Taylor was inspired by a few well-known college majors.

History - "Look What You Made Me Do"

With its heart-pumping music and vengeful mood, in the song Look What You Made Me Do it is clear that Taylor is focused on the past.

The dangerous history that she had with this person left a bad taste in her mouth. From this past experience, she has adapted and grown, just like humanity from the early ages of homo sapiens. Taylor "got smarter got harder in the knick of time" for survival. History is a subject focused on the growth of culture due to past events and Taylor's history is no stranger to transformation.

Business - "I Did Something Bad"

Business moguls are represented as clever, sharp, powerful, and not exactly always selfless. Their career revolves around money and deals, just as is described in I Did Something Bad.

The adrenaline that comes from making a deal or purchase is described perfectly in the lyrics "Make it look so easy...every lie I tell them they tell me three," and "This is how the world works...Don't regret it one bit cause he had it coming."

Along with these words come the "don't mess with me" attitude and quick beat that shows no regrets: "I owe him nothing, if he spent my change then he had it coming." And she has worries about doing it "over and over again."

Communication - "New Year's Day"

Communication is all about making a connection with people, and interpersonal relations through words and actions. The magical song, New Year's Day, presents a narrative describing the interactions between 2 people. This song is presented as an open-letter written to one of these people, communicating with them thoughts, emotions, and opinions from one party to the other.

It expresses hopes and dreams that otherwise would not have been known. At times, Taylor is begging "please don't ever become a stranger," conveying her feelings for the other person to receive.

Engineering - "So It Goes"

Focused on problem-solving, engineers are used to critical-thinking when it comes to their work. So It Goes illustrates a complex problem that takes time and different strategies to work out. But eventually, "the pieces fall right into place" and everything matches up with how it should be. Engineers are often times referred to as "magicians," just as Taylor depicts in this charismatic song.

Political Science - "This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things"

There's a reason why we "can't have nice things," and it's because of the people involved. As Taylor describes in This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things, politics is a crazy field of "no rules when you show up here" and "did you think I wouldn't hear all the things you said about me."

It is a free-for-all of trying to keep yourself alive and in the public's favor, and political casualties are not uncommon. "It was so nice being friends again...you stabbed me in the back while shaking my hand" portrays the cold, harsh reality of working with politicians and people who are there to get their policies passed.

The biggest "@" in this song must be her interpretation of a direct quote from Donald Trump aimed at Hillary Clinton: "forgiveness is a nice thing to do" she sings, before breaking out in cackles and claiming that she "can't even say it with a straight face."

Undecided - "King Of My Heart"

Choosing which major to commit yourself to for the rest of your life is definitely a daunting task. Trying out different things, questioning your decision, and finally committing can be stressful and unnerving. However, once you do make that jump and find your place, the reassurance you will get in your decision is exactly what Taylor describes in the song King of My Heart.

The lyrics "and all I want, I've been waiting, King of my heart, body and soul," describe the struggle. But in the end, "the range rovers and jaguars never took me quite where I want," because that perfect major was always there waiting for you.

And once you figure it out, it's all you need to succeed.