College Is More Than Textbooks

College Is More Than Textbooks

I've learned more outside of the books than inside
194

If you've ever asked an undergrad or new freshman how college is going, somewhere in their response you'll hear, "I love it so far, especially living in the dorms!" or "Oh, it's alright but the campus life kind of blows." Somewhere in there, they'll probably mention that classes are going alright or that classes are a struggle. Typically, that isn't what they'll mention first though. Once I started college, I realized that although classes are a priority, they're just a fraction of what college entails.

I'm not talking about enduring the same ole' cafe food, day in and day out. College starts with those friends you hang in their room with that make you feel not as insignificant to the big university life. In college, you'll find yourself growing in more areas than just in the books.

In high school, peer pressure made it hard to figure out who I wanted to be, what I actually wanted to wear or venture off of what my friends thought was 'interesting'. College made it easier though. I've joined clubs that I find as a hobby, not just a meeting to attend biweekly. I've started to do things that actually interest me and found a few of my talents that have hidden and ones that I will never have. I've begun to develop my own style and changed my major a time or two because I'm ACTUALLY figuring out what I LIKE TO DO. (Sidenote: For those undecided majors out there, you're listening to someone who has changed their major eight times and I figured it out. Stress less.)

College also made me figure out my downfalls. Truth is, I get way too stressed out way too fast. I also hate living alone or just being alone. When my roommate goes home for the weekend, I'm staying down the hall with a friend. Although realizing that you're not perfect isn't exactly what you want to find out, there's no reason why I wouldn't want to know myself better. I have a few quirks that I've been able to work on like actually being on time for class(still working on that one...hehe).

Before I started college, visiting the counselor's office for transcripts or financial aid office were the last things on my to-do list. Even though we all still hate to make those annoying businessy stops, we bite the bullet and make it at least somewhat of a priority, because we know we have to. College has made me prioritize and want to be successful because although college can be one big party, it can also be pretty professional.

And the dorm life couldn't come at a better/worse time. Your twenties, as everyone's heard, are hard. Since my freshman year, a lot of aspects of my worldview has changed, I've opened up a savings account, and I've realized that meaningful relationships are hard to keep up with. Then it seems like everyone you graduated with is either getting married or having kids? Once you have your high school diploma, the world expects you to be an adult which most of us aren't prepared for.

I escape the mixed up world and comfort comes in pursuing my interests and friends that like the same things I do. All in all, people change in college, including yourself. As important as classes are and should remain a priority, don't forget to work on yourself and do what makes you happy. Pursing yourself in college makes more sense than studying a subject that you hate and waiting to like it someday (sounds weird but it happens).