6 Things Every College Student Should Try To Make Connections This Fall

Don't let COVID-19 stop you from connecting this fall.

26

1. Join or start a club!

A classic way to get involved on campus is to join a club. There are so many clubs that fit so many different areas of life! If you can't find a certain club you're looking for, odds are that you can start that club with a few of your friends! Personally, I love sailing and my university didn't have a sailing club. When they say you can start your own club, you actually can! I know, daunting thought, right? If I—an indecisive and occasionally introverted freshman—can successfully start my sailing club, you can join one, start one, and find clubs that fit your taste on campus.

2. Try saying yes more than no.

I struggle with this one daily. Most days my yes quota will not match my no quota. I find that my days are much more eventful when I say yes more than no. As you venture into a new world that is the collegiate experience, have some days where your yes quota is greater than your no quota.

3. Go to events!

Colleges help students avoid homesickness, keep students engaged, and welcome them to college life through on-campus events. This is a classic, but go to these events! Take the risk of meeting some friends. Even in the world we live in right now, you can still connect with your peers, both virtually and in-person, following social-distancing guidelines, of course.

4. Talk to your neighbors and make some dorm buddies!

My roommate and I wrote cute little notes and slipped them underneath our neighbors' doors the night of move-in to see if we could make some new friends. It has been a month since then and I can say without a doubt that my best and closest friend is someone I met through those notes the night of move-in. It's crazy to think that our hours of binge-watching "Parks & Recreation" and spontaneous Target runs all started with a quick note!

5. Go to study groups!

I haven't been able to do this one as much, but my roommate has attended! Going to study groups can not only help your academic life but if you're lucky like me, you may make new connections! Whether it's your own study group or one that you join, forming bonds and friendships is a great way to get involved!

6. Find people with similar interests.

Finding people with similar interests is easier now more than ever before with social media. There is an Instagram for anything and everything related to most universities. Often times, they're looking for you to reach out to them as much as they want to reach out to you! This is the same as other students on Instagram. Don't be afraid to reach out! You'll be pleasantly surprised with your results!

Happy fall semester!