College Has Helped Me To Accept My Awkwardness

Being in an awkward or embarrassing situation is not the end of the world.

47

A normal day for me involves tripping while walking up a flight of stairs (yes up a flight, not down), spilling water on my shirt while trying to drink a cup of it, and walking out of the bathroom with a long, white line of toilet paper stuck underneath my shoe. If I go a day without at least two of these things happening to me, I would feel as though I had an off day! I've been in so many awkward, and embarrassing situations in my life that I have just stopped counting.

From elementary school to now, my awkwardness has been, in my opinion, the center of attention in my life. However, while being in college I have learned to just be at peace with certain embarrassing or awkward situations I may be in and to just move on from them. For all those kids who are like me and seem to be in these types of situations, just know that the way people in college react to awkward situations is completely different from the way those in grade school would.

From my perspective, people in college either won't care about the fact that you just tripped on your own shoelaces and will walk on by pretending that you didn't just fall flat on your face, or (like the angels they are) will help you up. In high school, if you fell from tripping on your shoelaces you would always be reminded of it until you graduated and moved to another city! Just know that by the time you get to college and the real world, people will be mature enough to realize that someone spilling a liquid on their nice shirt isn't their comedy act. I remember one time in middle school, I for the life of me could not properly poke a hole in my fruit punch pouch during lunch and I ended up getting a huge red stain on my blouse that was showcased for the rest of the day. What a day to wear white. A kid in one of my classes made the stain super obvious by stating in his outside voice that I must be a messy eater from the big red stain the size of Mars on my shirt.

I should've gone all Anthony Sacaramucci on him and verbally let him have it, but instead, I just rolled my eyes and started reading my book. In college, I've experienced people comforting each other during embarrassing moments. For example, while eating lunch with a friend in one of my college's dining halls, there was a girl sitting next to us who accidentally got ketchup on her shirt. She looked around a bit to see if anyone noticed and another girl sitting across from her said to her that it happens all the time to her and offered her a napkin. Being in college has made me realize that awkward and embarrassing things can happen to anyone, and not to stress over it.