If You're Looking For Guidance In College, Just Go To Sunday Mass

Going to college and becoming an adult is hard, but you are not alone.
312

College, like learning to drive a car, becoming a legal adult at 18 or taking your first legal drink at 21, is a big step in life. In college, there is so much to adapt to. As students, it is the first time we are living by ourselves in addition to holding ourselves accountable and being responsible without the watchful eyes of our parents. We are going to class, trying to find time to eat, possibly learning how to cook and do laundry for the first time while also trying to have fun and make friends. But most importantly, we are facing the pressure of trying to figure out what to do with our lives. Whether you are a student coming into your first year of college or a student in your fourth year of college, you still may feel confused and lost and that is okay! However, a great way that can help you find guidance through your collegiate journey is by joining a church.

First, besides the religious aspect of church, it is a great and easy way to make and meet friends. At the University of Cincinnati, Crossroads Church Uptown is located right off campus on Calhoun Street, and one of the great things about going to Crossroads is how social it is. When you walk inside Crossroads, you will be greeted, and whether you are a new member or an older member, someone will come talk to you no matter what. With free coffee and tea always offered, it provides a great sense of comfortability and community.

Another great thing about Crossroads Church Uptown is that three services are offered every Sunday at 10:00 a.m., noon, and 7:30 p.m. Being that we have crazy lives as students, numerous students attend the 7:30 p.m. services. Every Thursday Crossroads Church Uptown also holds College Night from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. where students gather together to socialize, meet new people, and be in the presence of God.

Second, church is a place of worship, religion, and a place to find guidance from God. Those times as students when we feel confused, lost, or maybe even angered about the events taking place in our lives, church is there as a resource to help. It might be through worship and singing and praising that you might be able to find comfort. Perhaps it could be through the sermon and the message that is conveyed that you find closure. Or maybe it is through prayer in which you find the strength to continue to push through all of the obstacles that being in college throws at you.

Crossroads Church Uptown offers all of these things in addition to other resources. However, you might find that it isn’t the church for you, but that is not the point. As college students, we begin to face the stresses of real life and are presented with obstacles that might put us in difficult situations. There will be times when we don’t really believe our parents can help, and where we don’t know where else to turn, church can help. It may be new and out of your comfort zone; however it might be something that you enjoy and look forward to doing every week. It might be the next big step in your life that provides the guidance you need to help you figure out what you want to do with your life for the rest of your life.