This College Grocery List Will Make You Less Stressed About Going Back To School

Maximize nutrition and minimize hunger, food waste, and spending one list at a time.

46
Gratisography

Great, you're all moved in and ready for classes to start, but wait. You have to get food. While this is a fun and exciting time for some, you're also tired, you've been focusing on how to move your furniture in, and you can't really remember everything you ate during the school year last year. Shopping without a list is likely to end in a lot of cookies purchased and a lot of forgotten real food. Everyone has different food tastes, restrictions, and budgets, but here's my personal guide for food shopping for the school year.

Food-shopping for on-campus is a lot different than eating at home because you've got to purchase food for just one person, food you'll actually eat, that you'll have time to eat/make, that you can afford, and that won't go bad before you have a chance to use it. Especially if you have a meal plan, you're not going to waste your meal plan, but there will be times you eat in the dorm and times you don’t. Ergo, you want to have nutritious food available so you're not just eating chips when you don't have time to grab lunch, but you don't want to be constantly throwing away unopened food you didn't get a chance to eat before it went bad.

For the sake of your budget and not wasting food, open yourself up to shelf-stable foods. However, carefully choose some nutritious time-sensitive foods too. Try to eat balanced meals using your meal plan, but try to create a balanced home environment too. Whether you cook all your meals or mainly snack in your dorm or apartment, don't fall into the trap of making your foods too carb-heavy. Foods with protein and fiber will fill you up more anyway.

Brace yourself - if you have to move out and move back in like I do, your first shopping trip may be a little more than usual. Try to shop generic and smart. Don't blow your budget, but you are having to re-establish your home pantry a bit.

*My personal must-haves

Step 1 - The Shelf-Stable

Whole-grain bread*
Bread after a while will go moldy or stale, but the Sara Lee and Nature's Own brands seem to last longer. Better yet, go in with your roommates on the bread and share it. A team effort makes it easier to go through it before it goes bad.

Rolled oats
Unless cross-contaminated, these are gluten-free! (Check your box if you have an allergy or intolerance though. They're sometimes processed on the same equipment.) Rolled oats are super versatile, and provide protein as well as carbohydrates to nourish you. They're good as traditional oatmeal on a chilly day, overnight oats, eaten toasted or straight out of the canister for toppings on yogurt, or use in baking recipes. Or literally just right out of the canister, like I have sometimes been known to do…

Peanut butter

Whether in a PB&J, on your overnight oats, or straight from the jar, peanut butter is a must-have protein staple. If you're allergic to peanuts, try almond butter, sunflower butter, or some of the other alternatives out there (also make sure your roommates won't go into anaphylactic shock either).

Fruit preserves

Some jellies are just sugar with a taste of fruit. However, several fruit jams are primarily fruit, with no sugar added (and perhaps tastier than the jelly.) Look for those gems that say "just fruit." Every PB&J needs some J, and one jar may even last you a while. Just pray it doesn't go bad in your fridge before the semester's up. These things are sometimes hit or miss.

Applesauce

Go-Go Squeez or the generic equivalent is not just for kids. It's another great on-the-go snack option.

Canned vegetables

Not everyone likes canned vegetables, but if you do, these too will wait for whenever you want them. If you like cooked spinach, carrots, green beans, or other forms of beans (black, pinto, lima, whatever), those little cans are usually less than a dollar and great to crack open when your plate could use some more veggie love.

Tomato sauce

Is it a fruit? Is it a vegetable? Well technically, it's the pureed form of a fruit with a little salt and seasonings added in, but it's still a good source of lycopene and several vitamins and minerals. Use it to make your own pizza, add some Italian seasoning and a touch of olive oil for your own marinara, or use it as an alternative to ketchup. Make spaghetti, vegetable soup, dip your grilled cheese in it, there are so many applications for tomato sauce. And if you grab yourself a can of it, it'll still be there for you at the end of the semester. But let's be honest, you're probably going to want to use it for something before then.

Soup

You will get at least mildly sick at some point. Or you may just not be very hungry and want some soup. Keeping some on hand is a good idea. I'll admit, I still struggle to find some with a good balance between being too salty and not very tasty. However, just play around with some different kinds and see what you like. Great Value has some pretty tasty ones without MSG (although they're still a bit salty), and Campbell's has recently come out with a more nutrition-conscious line called "Yes!" which appears to be more generous with the vegetables and has more complex flavors than its traditional line.

Quinoa/whole grain rice

Great as a pasta alternative, with stir fries, in soups, however, you want to fix it. Even if you don't use it often, it's shelf stable, so it will be available whenever you need some carbs in your meal.

Olive oil

Of all the fats to grace your foods, help you utilize vitamins A, D, E and K, and assist in other vital body functions, olive oil is also more unsaturated and has omega-3 fatty acids inside. Versatile in Mediterranean dishes, Italian sauces, or your good old American baking recipes, a small bottle of olive oil may be a worthwhile investment.

Whole wheat flour / gluten-free flour

Sometimes you're going to want to bake. Boost your nutritional value by including whole wheat flour, or a gluten-free flour if you must adhere to a gluten-free diet. There are several "alternative flours" out there, so experiment with some and see which ones you like.

Spices

This is what makes your own recipes something tasty. If you're just starting your spice collection, my first recommendations are salt and pepper, Italian seasoning, chili powder, garlic powder, and cinnamon. Proceed to expand with some onion powder, oregano, basil, etc.

Ketchup

Let's be honest, sometimes tomato sauce doesn't do the trick for me. Between me and my roommates, I'll just say the ketchup bottle was a worthwhile purchase…

Lärabars*

I know, it's a brand name. There are other on-the-go bars out there like Kind, or I'm sure there are generic ones too. In a breakfast/snack bar, I try to watch for the added sugars and look for ones that include fruit and some protein (typically nuts). Hence why I like Lärabars. I'm willing to spend a bit more for that chocolate chip peanut butter goodness.

Cereal*

Yes, I can use my meal plan to get breakfast. But do I? No. I don't like to leave the house with my stomach growling, and I wake up ready for some breakfast. Cereal is also great as an on-the-go snack, in trail mix, or a late-night snack. My personal favorite has been Honey Nut Cheerios or the generic equivalent.

Popcorn*

Especially if you get it without the added butter and salt, popcorn is a great light snack food choice. Some un-popped just-popcorn versions are available, so you can control which toppings and how much you put on it. Another option is Smartfood Delight White Cheddar popcorn. Already popped and flavored, it's relatively low in sodium, and one cup only has 35 calories. Snack on.

Dark chocolate

Maybe it's just a girl thing, but I randomly just need some chocolate in my life. Dark chocolate has antioxidants and a little caffeine, and one little square of the darkest dark chocolate you can get me does the trick, rather than getting a candy bar from the vending machine and getting more sugar and less chocolate than I wanted. Some say dark chocolate can help you focus, and whether it's actually true or not, it's my excuse to grab some chocolate before a big test.

"Moderation foods"*

Let me put it this way. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and just really need some Cheez-Its in my life. Pick one or two of your guilty-pleasures to keep on hand to eat in moderation. Just limit how often you go back for more.
Other items you might find worth including Tortillas, raisins, nuts, Spaghetti-Os, dried fruit, bottled water, granola, jerky, whole grain crackers, tuna, mayo/salad dressings, whole grain pasta, vinegar, coffee / K-cups / tea

Step 2 - The Freezer-Stable

Frozen berries / fruits*
    Let them sit in the fridge to thaw and eat straight, use in smoothies, in yogurt parfaits, overnight oats, as ice cream toppings, or whatever you want to use them for. You'll never have to worry about all your fruit spoiling if you keep some frozen fruit on hand. I've had the best luck with berries. Frozen blueberries work really well in so many things.

Frozen vegetables

Some also may like to keep frozen green beans, peas, broccoli, sugar snap peas, etc. on hand. Pick one or two of your favorites, especially if you don't like canned vegetables. Frozen is a little more expensive than canned, but it will last.

Light frozen meals*

There will be times you don't want to get out of the dorm, or do not have time to eat on campus. Keep some Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, Amy's, or similar entrees on hand.

Light ice cream

Ice cream is also one of those things I think girls just really love. Make those ice cream moments a little lighter with light ice cream or froyo, and top with fruit and/or oats. I used to really love Kemp's froyo but recently have fallen in love with Halo Top. If you're lactose intolerant, try brands like Arctic Zero.

Other items: Whole grain waffles/pancakes, frozen meats (chicken breasts, ground turkey, fish, etc.)

Step 3 - The Perishable

Whole fruits
      We can actually get whole fruits using our meal plan at the TMB, so I don't typically go crazy with the whole fruits. Sometimes though, there will be small "3 for 99 cents" apples, which I can't turn down. Apples double as decoration until they're eaten, and then as a tasty snack. Whole fruits (uncut) are generally stable without refrigeration for about a week or so. Bananas are another popular choice. Better yet, go for some in-season options unavailable on the meal plan, like peaches, dragonfruit, or pears.

Vegetables*

Choose wisely. I love keeping leaf spinach on hand to add to literally everything (omelets, burgers, salads, pasta, side dish, other sandwiches), but I have to plan to really eat on it, because it will perish after a while. On the other hand, carrots seem to last a long time, and can also be used in recipes, as side dishes, a snack, etc. While baby carrots are probably most popular, I like the shredded carrots. Other choices that may not go bad on you are sugar snap peas, peppers (if you like them), or whole cucumbers.

Milk (or almond, soy, or other alternative milk)*

Milk is a great protein source, almost a cross between a drink and a food, and necessary for cereal, coffee, cookies, by itself, in recipes, whatever. I've found that because of the way it is pasteurized, the organic milk lasts three million years longer (not literally). I used to go for Horizon 1%, but recently Walmart has started offering its own generic version of organic milk.

Yogurt

Yogurt can be a breakfast food, snack, or dessert. There is Greek, plain, low-fat, full-fat (better on the digestive system a lot of times), Aussie, those with toppings, those without, those with stevia, those with sucralose, those with fruit, those without, those that are pumpkin-spice flavored, etc. The possibilities are limitless. I've tried Noosa Aussie-style yogurt lately, and it's pretty good. You should give it a try if you haven't, although the other varieties are all tasty protein-rich options as well. Always look at the sugar content though.

Cheese

Just about anything can benefit from cheese. Keep some shredded or Parmesan on hand.

Deli meats

It's also a good idea to keep some deli meats on hand for sandwiches, salads, omelets, etc. This may also be something you consider sharing with roommates.

Juice

Maybe orange juice doesn't send away the common cold the way we thought it did, and the way zinc might, but sometimes you just need a little orange-y vitamin C goodness. Orange juice and milk are some of our two staple fridge beverages.
      Other ideas: Coffee creamer, butter/margarine, eggs, hummus

Oh yeah, don't forget your non-food items too. Toilet paper is important.

Other Items

Get these items first - keep your cold items cold.

• Ziploc bags
        • Tissues
        • Paper towels / napkins
        • Paper plates
        • Dishwashing liquid
        • Clorox
        • Windex
        • Duster
        • Mopping liquid / Swiffer refills
        • Laundry detergent
        • Air freshener
        • Shampoo, soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, etc…
        • Toilet paper
        • Trash bags
        • Brita filter

Everybody is different, so your list may look a little different than mine. I shop primarily for breakfast, snacks, and the occasional meals, but you may have to prepare all your meals and will need more foods for meal-making. Either way, follow your flavor palate and seek a healthful variety to prep for classes.