An Open Letter To The College Friends Of A Lifetime
Friendships

To My College Friends, You're Part Of My Present, And You'll Be Part Of My Future

I truly hope that these relationships continue even after we've all graduated.

235

Before entering college, I never thought that I would end up here at Rutgers. I was more focused on the five other schools I had chosen to apply to. Rutgers was a safety school for me, just like it is for most high school seniors in New Jersey. It's the school you apply to just because you can and don't ever think twice about until it's time to make the big decision. While it was never my first choice, I could never regret choosing this university. Rutgers has provided me with the opportunity to reinvent myself, as well as meet plenty of people.

The people I've met in these past four or five months have been so welcoming and wonderful to get to know. The friends I have made thus far at Rutgers are so different from one another and I'm glad I've been given the opportunity to meet them all. Although we've only known each other for a short time, it feels like forever and I know that they'll be a part of my life long after we have graduated. So this article is dedicated to them, the lifelong friends that Rutgers has given me and will forever be thankful for.

It's easier than you think to make friends

With Rutgers being such a big school, I did not think it would be as easy as it was to make friends, let along such close friends like I have. I thought every day would be filled with mindless, polite chats about the weather and assignments for this or that class. But, its been quite the opposite. I've managed to make some of the best friends, some for life. How? Well, I talked to literally anyone and everyone. At the beginning of my first semester, I would sit and study in my dorm's common lounge, saying hi to all who passed me. This gave me the opportunity to get to know the majority of the people in my building. Although, it was a little different outside my dorm. In these cases, I really had to step it up a notch and not be my usual shy self. I made the effort to ask others for help when I needed it, whether that be for directions or about the class, and things generally just took off from there. So, my advice to you? Just be yourself and make introductions! If you want to get to know someone but they aren't starting the conversation themselves, take initiative because what's the worse that could happen?

My best friend

This is the guy who I met briefly at Throwdown our very first weekend here and thought was just a little bit weird. Later introduced to each other by an RA, our friendship started with casual chit chat whenever we saw each other in the halls or stairwells. Eventually, this turned into full-blown conversations about our lives before college (I think I know his entire life story at this point) and every little thing we could think of. Now we're as close as can be and are always seen together as if we're attached at the hip. Even though we've only known each other for a few months, I know that we'll be there for each other through thick and thin, as well as the most life-changing moments after college.

The roomie

While we were not paired randomly, we felt that we had been the first time we met. Getting together once before move-in day, the conversation led us to believe that we would be the type of roommates who could simply tolerate each other. But, that simply was not the case. On August 30, with both of our parents gone, we bonded over dumb things and got along better than we ever thought we would. Instead of being the roommates who could just coexist with one another, we're the type of roommates who actually get along and hang out. We eat at Brower, study practically anywhere and everywhere, go out on the weekends, the list can go on and on. Although we've had minor fights (but what roommates don't?), we've always been able to make up and have our friendship be stronger than ever. We're two peas in a pod, and I know that we'll be friends for the long run. In fact, we're planning on being roommates again next year!

Dorm family

Living in the same building for an entire school year really allows you to meet a ton of different people. With the dorm constantly being active with events and meetings, I'm not surprised that I've been able to get to know my floormates and those on the other floors. And the nice thing about my building? No one is ever afraid to simply say hi or introduce themselves, regardless of the time of day or part of the semester. Even though we've only been together for two very long semesters, I know that we're a family. I'll miss each and every one of you dearly next year and hope that we'll still keep in touch!

Fellow peers

The best part about being a student at Rutgers is having the ability to meet a brand new person, make a brand new friend, every single day. Outside of my dorm, are the people I've met waiting for an EE or LX, the people I've asked for help from in class, and the people I've met by just hanging out around campus and people watching. Now, these have to be the most interesting people I have had the opportunity to meet, as literally, each person is completely different from the last. From major to city to state, and even country, each person has provided me with a new perspective on life. Each fact, idea, and belief that I've encountered has been incorporated into my current life, allowing me to grow as a person and student.

Another thank you

Although this might just seem like another thank you article, I mean it from the bottom of my heart. While I've only known each of my new friends for a short while, I would not change any of my experiences for the world. In just a few short months, my life has been turned upside down and right-side up again, but the friends I've made along the way are worth it. They've been there for my highest and lowest points, along with every little thing in between. They're the people I turn to when I need to, whether it be for a good laugh or simply to vent to. They've been there through it all, and I truly hope that these relationships continue even after we've all graduated from Rutgers.