10 Tips For College Freshmen That I Really Wish Someone Had Given Me

A reflection on a semester of chaos and growth.

205
Delaney Brennan

As I finish my first semester of many, there are many thoughts on what has impacted me most, and what I will continue to carry with me throughout my career. 10 ultimate freshman rules of thumb float to the top of my mind:

1. Take photos of everything.

Loving every bit of your life starts with the documentation of the very best parts. By taking pictures, you ensure that you not only remember each sweet memory that goes by all too quickly, but you also gain an appreciation for the moments that comprise your life.

2. DO NOT close the elevator on people in your dorm.

It is so awkward to talk to people that you close the elevator on. It should be a sacred rule to be extra kind to all those entering the elevator, whether holding a laundry basket or not. While it is hard to recognize at the time, we make friends with those around us. By being cognizant with thing such as the door or elevator, we make ourselves more approachable and patient in the long run. Hold the elevator.

3. Figure out what you believe in for yourself.

It is the first time you get to live alone! You can do whatever you please. For the first time, it is perfectly okay to differ politically, religiously, or just in thought from those around you. Take time to do research and listen to others to form your own individual opinion on situations! It will make you a stronger person.

4. Appreciate the slumber parties.

All too often, I found myself missing the solitude of my own bedroom at home throughout my first semester. After going home for Thanksgiving, everything changed. I realized that I now narrate my life while alone, because I find it weird that nobody is there to witness it. I am lonely and I miss the constant laughter and joy I felt from being surrounded by not only a million peers, but also by my best friends.

5. Get to know those around you!

Rushing and pursuing your major are not the only things in college that determine friend groups. People in your living areas, those who have common interests with you, and you friends are not the only people that are worth knowing. Having companions everywhere you go by simply being friendly opens the doors to the best environment you can create for yourself.

6. Raise your hand!

Becoming outspoken in class makes you a better student and a better learner - but it also makes you more well-known to the class. I have found that I greatly enjoy classes that I feel comfortable talking in, and they make a more breathable environment for everybody present. Having a professor that knows and likes you can make your college experience so much better.

7. Learn how to get rid of FOMO.

College students are the worst at hurting from the sense of longing we feel when we miss a party or event - Fear Of Missing Out. Who will really hold it against us if we did not attend that one function? Nobody important. Don't be afraid to study on a Friday night.

8. Talk to your family.

Whether 5 minutes or 5 hours away from home, everything changes the second you move out. Relationships grow, and so do you, and that's why it's important to keep your parents in the forefront of your life. Don't forget about your roots.

9. Learn organization from day 1.

You will thank yourself. Keep a planner, note things in your calendar. You report card will show it.

10. Don't worry so much!

Those that are always worrying are living in what has not happened yet, causing them to not be able to focus on what is in front of them. Be someone people can count on, and let your hard work be your reward. Worrying just causes wrinkles.

Freshman year has, by far, been the months of the greatest change in my life. Hopefully, these 10 brief tips are helpful to those who, like me, live in the eye in a storm of chaos.