What you hear when you attend college on a different coast.

6 Things You'll Hear Too Often If You're Going To College On The East Coast

Moving from California to Pennsylvania entails a lot, and a lot of people can't wait to tell you their opinions.

108

A couple of months ago I announced my decision to attend Villanova University. It has been my dream school since my Freshman year. All my friends and family were ecstatic for me, and I am so grateful for their support. That being said, being born in small, southern California town, everybody and their mother seems to have comments about what my new living situation will entail. With graduation being last weekend, the main topic of conversation between myself and an adult is my move to the east coast to attend Villanova. While most of what is said is well-meaning, there are some comments that lose their charm after the 10,00th time you hear them.

1. "You don't understand cold yet."

I am aware that being from California, I have not experienced an East Coast winter, however, the only way I'll understand is when I actually experience it next winter. So for now, please stop reminding me to buy a jacket- I know.

2. "Won't you miss the beach?"

California is infamous for many reasons, one of the reasons being our sunny, beautiful beaches. Again, I know that there are no beaches in Pennsylvania but remember, I chose to trade the beach for snow, so that I could attend my dream school.

3. " I would never want that air travel- it will be so annoying!"

Honestly, I'm sure it will. However, the most annoying part about flying is arriving to and navigating the airports. A flight is a flight whether I am flying one state over or across the country. I'llput in some headphones, watch the airplane movies, listen to music, and take a nap. I know it will be tiring. That's what Starbucks is for.

4. " The time zones are so different- won't that complicate things?"

The East Coast is 3 hours ahead of my time zone. While this may be a bit tricky to navigate at first, I don't anticipate too much trouble beyond the first few weeks. Also, as a college student, I don't think I will be up too early where I call back home at an ungodly hour most times. Plus nowadays, with texting and social media, I can always message first to see if it is a good time to call.

5. "You've never been in the snow- how will you handle it?"

Similarly to #1, most everyone I talk to always points out the fact that there will be snow. In my opinion, the best way to learn how to survive in the snow is to live in it! I won't be bringing my car and with on-campus housing, in addition to uber and licensed friends, getting around in the snow will be okay. I'm sure my excitement over the snow will melt away within the first week or so of it snowing, but as for now, I am so excited to be able to experience a different climate. Also, the chance to hop on a train and go to see NYC in the snow, decorated for Christmas Time? Yes, Please!

6. " You'll miss California/You'll get Homesick!"

I agree. I'm sure I will miss California and there will be days where I'm alone and all I want to do is come home. I would like to hope, however, that most of my time will be spent making friends, making memories, and making good marks. Missing home is a natural, healthy part of maturation and would likely happen whether I was across the country or even living just four hours away. I am very close with my family and as much as we'll miss each other, our bond will never break as they give me the freedom and courage in myself I need to succeed.

You mean well and you're worried about me. I understand that and I appreciate it, honestly, I do. When you say that I don't know what I'm getting myself into, you are right. That is all the more reason for me to do it! Just know that the best, and sometimes the only way to learn and grow is through experiences, and these are experiences that while intimidating, I could not be more excited or grateful to have. I'm sure there will be many great days and a few hard ones, but I'll learn, I'll grow, and I'll be better for it.