College Drinking Culture Is Overrated

College Drinking Culture Is Overrated

Honestly, when was the last time that party was necessary?

96
College Drinking Culture Is Overrated
flickr

The other day as I was scrolling through Snapchat stories, I came across five different accounts that depicted the same images: college students day drinking on a weekday. At first, I didn’t think anything more of it than the fact that these friends of mine were celebrating their return to school. However, after further consideration, a thought occurred to me that changed my nonchalant viewing of these stories into a more judgmental opinion on the college drinking culture: why are we even doing it?

So, you’re a freshman entering college and you are experiencing your first real moments of independence, I get it. We’ve all been there, and it’s natural to want to take advantage of going out and exploring the social scene at your new school. But even though college lasts four years, does that automatically mean this behavior should too?

I would argue no, it does not, and here’s why: While you might love taking full advantage of all those opportunities now, sooner or later you are going to get to a point in your college career where you realize real life is starting soon. Usually, this happens when a student is in their senior year- sometimes even earlier- and it hits like a freight train stamped with the words “the rest of your life” on the front of it. That being said, you might be asking yourself what the big deal is. If, more than likely, you aren’t going to be experiencing these thoughts and feelings until the very end of your college career anyways, then what’s the point of planning so far in advance and stopping the partying behavior now?

I’m going to sound like a mom when I say this, but regardless I’m just going to put it out there: you did not come to college to get drunk and party. I know, I know, it’s shocking! And right about now if you are a college student reading this, you are probably shaking your head and getting ready to close your computer screen any second now, but wait! Don’t do it just yet, because I promise you I’m going somewhere with this.

I would be lying if I said that I have never attended a college party. Moreover, I would be lying if I said that my first year of college I wasn’t excited to go out and experience the party scene that was so highly talked-about by those that are older than me. Still, I had my wake-up call quite early on in my college career when I entered second semester of my sophomore year of college and decided that going to class and learning the material was more important than the fraternity party going on down the street from me.

Okay, sure, call me a loser, but at the same time, isn’t this why we go to college? You chose the college you chose because when you went on a tour of the campus, you fell in love with it. You wanted so badly to be a part of the culture, and once you got to school you knew you made the right choice.

Partying is like my love for Friends: it’s always going to be there. Granted, partying when you’re 40 is not going to be the same as when you’re 20, but it is always going to exist. You will never find yourself unable to get your hands on liquor and a few people wanting to have a good time if that’s what you’re after, so why waste these four years spending all your time doing that?

College presents you with one incredible opportunity: find out what you love and are interested in, and then go make a career out of it. You only have four years to explore your curriculum, take classes, and then search for a job that fit all those interests you discovered in that time, so don’t waste it!

This isn’t to say that you shouldn’t go out and have a good time ever, but more so to emphasize that the things that are life-long and most important are often taught by your International Literature professor who’s from Zimbabwe and tells you about the first time he purchased a pair of pants in America. Perhaps you even gain some knowledge from those late-night walks to the library when you stop and have a 30-minute long conversation with a member of the Glee Club. Whatever it may be, always remind yourself that these four years are fleeting, and before they go, you want to ensure you take full advantage of them while you still have the chance.

You have definitely left a class or lecture and thought, “Wow, I’m glad I went to class today, that was extremely eye-opening/useful information.” But let’s be honest, have you ever left a party and felt that you learned anything more than how fast a 180lb fraternity boy can shotgun a beer? Probably not.