College Didn't Change My Life

College Didn't Change My Life

New school, same me.
123

The first week of college I stepped into the laundry room and witnessed 20 people floundering around the washers unsure what to do. At one point, a boy even asked me which machine was the washer and which was the dryer. Since then, I have seen my friends and hallmates grow — no longer are there white sheets with a slightly pinkish tint or shrunken tee shirts — we’ve really made some big strides since the first day of move-in.

College has taught me a lot, but unlike most, college didn’t change my life — it didn’t majorly alter any of my world or religious views, I didn’t pick up some new, unique hobby, and I didn’t go through that “experimental” phase in college where I tried all of these crazy things. So, for the most part, I am still the same person as I was a year ago. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

I came into college doing my own laundry since the third grade, making my meals since middle school, and being able to advocate for myself. My mom raised me to be self-sufficient and independent from a relatively young age, so when I went off to college, I was already used to this “scary” idea of doing life tasks on my own.

That being said, while all of my friends were struggling to figure out how to use a washing machine, make their own coffee, or email professors, I was fine because I had been doing that most of my life.

My views didn’t change that much because as a fairly introspective person, I spend A LOT of time thinking. I tend to overthink, which can get me into some unnecessary situations, but for the most part, it solidifies my views because I spend a large portion of my time thinking about my beliefs.

And you know what? I am not ashamed that I don’t fit into that “college changed my life” narrative. I am happy with the person I’ve grown into. Besides, I couldn’t imagine figuring out my worldviews, how to do laundry, and making my own food while at the same time trying to figure out calculus.