College Decision Day Doesn’t Have To Be The Most Stressful Time Of Your Life

Advice on how to pick the right college

21

Senior year is a time full of excitement, but the small and simple thought of college present in the back of your mind is always slightly terrifying. In case of rejection, many people apply to a numerous amount of colleges all the way from dream schools to the school that you know you will get accepted to. Then comes the acceptance letter and I can guarantee you're going to be left with a choice on which school to go to.

Your dream school might not be applicable and maybe your last choice is the best fit. I've been there and done that. I was stuck deciding between three schools and the choice was incredibly hard considering all three schools were in different states and would create a completely different path of life. It is scary though, considering college is one of the defining factors of who you become in the future. I'm not saying college is the most important factor in the outcome of your life, but it feels as if it is. That's how I felt my senior year so you're not alone.

The best advice I can offer is the importance of trusting your gut. You know deep down inside where you should go even if you refuse to accept it. Another piece of advice is looking into programs that the school offers for your degree. Look at what the school can offer you in regard to your major. It is incredibly important to do your research. That is what made me realize my dream school wasn't the best option for my major. My major is journalism and the school I choose has one of the best journalism programs. I wouldn't have known which college to choose without research. Another thing I did was ask around and see what people thought of different schools. If you know someone that went to the schools, you're trying to decide between talking to them to get insight on programs and student life.

It is critical to look at every aspect of a future school. The education is important but so is the environment you're going to be living in and the student life. For example, if you hate the cold I wouldn't recommend choosing a place that gets extremely cold unless you are willing to adjust. On top of that, if you are interested in Greek life I would choose a school that has Greek life. Or if you want to go to sports games, choose a school that has sports teams.

There is so much to consider when choosing a college and it is indeed a stressful experience. I know you will pick the right college and if you go to a university and decide you don't like it as much as you did, it is possible to transfer. College is such an exciting time of your life and I know for a fact that you will choose the school you were meant to go to because after all, everything happens for a reason.